Chapter 17-Revealing Secrets

A/N

I'm sorry I haven't posted in ages. I've been very wrapped up in my new Twilight fanfiction, 'Saviour'. Needless to say, I couldn't leave this story for long, so here's the next chapter. I've just recapped the last paragraph to remind you of what just happened. Though I doubt one forgets the Volturi in a hurry. *smirks* I hope you haven't given up on me yet!

Lucy xX

***

"They're coming for us," Alice whispered, her face terrified. Everyone froze, and I felt Edward draw me even tighter against him. I looked up and saw the fear in his eyes, fear for me. I had a feeling my face reflected his perfectly. Everyone else's did. The glass was forgotten, laying perfectly still on the floor as the six vampires looked at each other, and thought about everything they could lose.

Those were the words that would change my life.

***

It felt like an hour later that a snarl from outside ripped through the air, spinning us out of our thoughts immediately. Fear spread through my body as I wondered what Katrina and the wolves had to do with the Volturi, but I was more worried about what was making that sound from outside. I looked up at Edward. Before I could focus to ask my question silently, Jacob burst through the door.

"What the fuck is going on?" he growled.

Everyone but Edward looked at Alice. She'd had the vision, and we had no idea what it was that had her so upset. Well, we knew that the Volturi were coming, but we didn't know why, not yet. Jacob raised his eyebrows at her, face tight, but it was Edward that answered.

"The Volturi are coming. For us," was his concise, unhelpful answer.

"Look bloodsucker," I flinched at the word Jacob used, "I'm not in the mood for your games. Give me a straight answer or I won't help."

There was silence. Edward looked to Alice, and nodded once, imploring her to speak. Unfortunately, she seemed to have gone into shock, and was unable to speak. I hadn't known if vampires could go into shock, but the way Alice stood, unmoving but trembling in Jasper's arms gave me answer enough. It was, as was the case with so many things, the vampire equivalent.

Alice rose her frightened eyes to meet Jacob's furious, determined ones. She answered in a riddle.

"We aren't allowed to share our secret. But Katrina..." she across to me, "She knows. Nobody told her, but she's worked it out."

A gasp rang through the room. I was about to ask questions, but Alice held up her hand, signalling for silence. Carlisle was muttering almost silently on the phone, but his gaze was fixated on Alice as she spoke. I merely heard the name 'Eleazer'.

"And with the wolves as well... It's the perfect opportunity," she said.

It seemed like she'd finished, but it left us none the wiser. I nearly growled in frustration, but I refrained, knowing that she was shaken by what she'd seen. Perhaps Edward or Carlisle could shed some light on the subject... Or maybe even Eleazer. Why else would Carlisle call him now? It hardly seemed the appropriate time for a friendly chat.

My suspicions were confirmed when Carlisle put the phone down on the table, hitting 'speaker' for Jacob's benefit. We'd have all heard it perfectly without the speaker.

"You've just extended your coven further. The Volturi obviously see you as a threat to their power, with so many gifted vampires amongst you. The Volturi collect powerful vampires. With Bella, Edward, Alice and Jasper, they'll be drooling at the chance to snatch your coven up for their own gain. They knew they could beat you in a fight, with the entire guard at their disposal, but they needed the right moment to challenge you. If this human has figured out what you are, then that creates the perfect opportunity. And then there's the treaty with the werewolves-" came the voice of Eleazer, but he was cut off by Jasper.