Chapter 19-Outburst

Recap:

"Again, it's possible," Carlisle said, "I have an idea myself. What about Katrina?"

"How so?" I asked, feeling defensive.

"How did she find out about us? Even you, who'd grown close to Edward in a way, needed help to reveal our secret. How did she work it out?" Carlisle asked with a shrug.

"That," Kate said, very slowly, and very seriously, "Is a damned good question."

***

I bit my lip. I couldn't answer Carlisle's question. I'd grown very close to Katrina, and I didn't want her to be our enemy. If Katrina was the werewolf, and I didn't want her to be, then technically, we were in league with a werewolf. She was our friend, and we trusted her. Hell, we'd saved her mother.

That was when it hit me.

"Katrina isn't the werewolf," I said quietly.

"Bella," Esme began softly, "We have to consider that-"

"No, no. I have a reason. The werewolf attacked Katrina's mother," I said. I waited a moment for my words to sink in, before I continued. "Even a werewolf wouldn't kill their own mother, surely?"

"That's very true," Eleazer said, "I think we can pretty much rule out Katrina. Actually, do you know anyone that hates Katrina? The werewolf may have had a motive for attacking her mother."

I looked at Edward, and he shook his head slightly. Nobody really came to mind. No-one else spoke up, and we all shook our heads at Eleazer. He nodded a d sat back, looking thoughtful again. To my surprise, it was Rosalie that took charge of the situation, not Carlisle or Eleazer.

"Who else did we think of? Leah," she said, nodding to me, "And?"

"Jessica," Emmett said.

"That's right. Much as I hate to admit it, we need Jacob to talk about Leah. And does anyone know about a werewolf's mating habits?" she asked.

"Very little. I don't think Jessica could have mated with Edward, if that's what you're thinking. Firstly, they're mortal enemies, and secondly-"

Eleazer was cut off when the door opened loudly, and Jacob strode in, looking absolutely furious. Unfortunately, his anger was directed at me, and his lare ws fierce. I had. No idea what I'd done to upset him so much, but it was sure as hell confusing me, and it didn't exactly make me happy either.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Jacob hissed at me.

Edward tensed under me, and I saw that his face was the very picture of fury. His breathing picked up a little, and he gave Jacob his most terrifying glare. Jacob was paying Edward no attention though, as he shook, going slightly red in the face. I laid a restraining hand on Edward's hand, but it made little difference.

"How dare you speak to her like that?" Edward hissed back, his voice venomous, "How dare you accuse her on the spot? It's a

possibility, and you know it mutt."

Right. Mind-reader.

"Edward," I warned my fiancé, "Care to tell me what I've done to get you so angry?" I asked, turning to Jacob.

"Leah," he spat, "Is no more a werewolf than I am."

Ah.

"Are you sure, or are you saying that without thinking? And how the hell did you know about that anyway?" I asked, frowning.

"I was in my way over here anyway. I heard you," he spat.

"Well can you blame me? Someone is that werewolf, and Leah seemed like a possible candidate."