Chapter 21-The Final Battle

A/N

This story is coming to a close. I'd estimate it'll be three-four more regular chapters, plus an epilogue. I know what's going to happen to our favourite couple in the future, but I'm not sure how long it will take to write down. I apologise once again that this wasn't as long as I'd originally guessed it would be, but hey, I'm still proud of it, and I hope you lot enjoy it.

Lucy xX

***

Recap:

"We need to go," Edward said suddenly, pulling me up and running. I ran with him, all thoughts of a few seconds ago gone.

"What's happened?" I asked, dread filling me.

"They're coming."

***

Standing in the clearing, miles away from Forks, where I'd once watched vampires play baseball was one of the strangest experiences of my life. It had been raining then too, and I'd been holding hands with Edward Cullen. Then, however, I wasn't a vampire, I wasn't engaged to the love of my life, and I wasn't in mortal danger.

The Romanians, to the left of us, we're spoiling for a fight, desperate to get their hands on the Volturi. Carlisle looked rather grim about what was going to happen. He hated bloodshed of any kind, even if the blood was shed because someone wanted to watch him burn for crimes he hadn't committed.

Just for a moment, I imagined what would have happened if there were no problems in life. I came across a bit of a dilemma though. If there were no problems in life, my parents wouldn't have divorced, and I'd never have met Edward. I had to skip over that. I'd never have been attacked by James, Jasper wouldn't have lost control, and I wouldn't have been separated from Edward for two hundred years.

I'd have finished high school, Victoria would never have wanted to kill me, and Edward would change me into a vampire. I'd still see those from my old life, my human life, and I'd marry Edward. Tanya wouldn't have ruined things, Rosalie wouldn't have begged for things that could never be, and Jessica wouldn't follow Edward around like a lost puppy. Life would be perfect.

But life was never perfect. There were always problems. Apparently, the universe only existed due to slight imperfections at the beginning of time...

I pushed the errant thought away, and looked ahead of me. The problem I was faced with now came in the form of a mass of black and red cloaks. Hundreds of vampires walked forwards, following Aro, Marcus and Caius in perfect formation, never breaking rank for a second.

I raked my eyes over the vampires gathering in front of us. Aro stood at the front, flanked by his brothers. Renata was standing just behind Aro, and I glanced to Vladimir and Emmett, who'd be taking out Renata. I wished them the best of luck, but I didn't doubt their abilities for a second.

I looked at Chelsea then, who had no idea that Stefan, one of the most powerful and oldest vampires in the world, was about to attempt to kill her. I wished the woman luck with surviving. Note the sarcasm. Jane shot me a sickly-sweet smile, and I wrapped my shield tightly around my friends and family. No-one was going to be harmed by that bitch today.

Alec was smirking at us from his place beside Jane. Jasper shot me a grim look of determination, and I sent him a small smile. There was no time for us to exchange good lucks. It was probable that we'd lose people today, and that thought saddened me a lot. However, I knew that I had to focus on the battle at hand, and dwell on the losses later. There'd be time for mourning.

Because we were going to win.

No matter what.

Suddenly, the mass of red and black stopped about a hundred yards in front of us. For a moment, time seemed to stand still. I could feel Edward's cold hand in mine, but I could see only the faces of the Volturi. Particularly Aro, who was smiling widely at us, his hands spread wide as he stepped forwards.