Standing on Your Own

Eleanor had her hair pulled up high into a ponytail, which she only tended to do when she was upset. She was sitting in a near empty upscale Italian place in Chicago, and she was just waiting for Patrick to show up.

She was on her third water in two hours, and she was about to order herself a glass of wine. Unfortunately, she didn't want to have alcohol around if Patrick ever did show up. Her fingernails trapped against the table and she sighed, looking around. They were supposed to eat at noon.

It was now two.

She kept checking her phone, hoping for a text or call. Nothing. He was an alcoholic, she knew that. She figured he was probably passed out at home, after downing way too much scotch. She hated him for this. She despised him.

"Fuck you, Stump." She stood up, ready to go call Pete to pick her up again. This was a waste of time. She needed to move on.

"Are you leaving, miss?" A waiter had hurried over, a frown on his face.

"Yeah, my date obviously stood me up. Um, sorry. I'll leave you a tip for the waters. " She set a few dollars on the table, and continued on her way out of the building.

She walked out into the cool Chicago air, and took a deep breath. She pulled out her phone, flipped through her contacts, and selected Pete. The phone went up to her ear, and she began walking down the street.

"Come get me. He never... Showed up. He did not come." She sounded sad at first, but the sadness quickly turned to anger, and her speech suddenly made perfect sense, and came at the right speed. "He's a fucking ass. I'm done with him. I can't do this anymore. I'm worth more than this."

She hung up the phone, and continued walking. She didn' t care if Pete was able to find her and pick her up or not. She wanted to disappear.

It didn't take long before she found herself in a park. She took a seat on a bench, turned her phone off, and just waited. She waited for anything to happen, anything that meant she wouldn't have to go back.

"God damn it, Ellie. I've been looking for you for hours." Pete's voice came from a few feet away, as he rushed towards her. He'd been extremely worried. It was nearly seven o' clock. He'd been searching for Ellie for almost five hours, ever since she'd called.

"Shut up." Ellie looked up at Pete briefly, but returned her gaze to the ground. "Stood me up. Fucker."

"I know. And I know it hurts. But you're okay. Come on, let's go home." Pete held out his hand to Ellie, he felt bad for making her go to the restaurant in the first place. "I won't let it happen again."

"I don't want to go back to your place, Pete. That's not my home. I'm fine with this. I want to pretend I never met him. I want it all to go away."