Shopping Spree

BB

Bucky headed to the bathroom to at least rinse his face off and fully wake himself up. He was still amazed at the fact that he had a restful night's sleep, no nightmares, no thrashing. The dark circles that were always under his eyes, even when he'd actually slept for a few hours, were noticeably lighter.

He smiled and laughed, hysterical that his sleep hadn't been plagued by nightmares, leaving the bathroom considerably happier than yesterday.

Bucky ended up helping Steve in the kitchen, both of them in the best mood they'd been in since the 40s.

"So I was thinking," Steve said as he slid Bucky a plate full of eggs, bacon, and potatoes. "Maybe today we could go out and get you some clothes?"

Bucky took a drink of his coffee before answering.

"Yeah, sure."

"What's the matter? You don't sound so sure on that." Steve asked, taking a seat next to him.

"I just haven't been in really crowded places in a while." He replied.

When he'd gone into town after the incident with HYDRA, it was pretty early and not a lot of people were up. At least, until the bus incident, but then he was really out of it. The Smithsonian hadn't been overly crowded, either, so he wasn't sure what would happen if he were to go somewhere with a lot of people in close proximity with him fully coherent.

"We can go later, when a lot of people are at work. It shouldn't be too bad then, and we won't go anywhere really crowded." Steve promised. "Unless you really don't wanna go, in which case I can go get some stuff for you."

"No, I can go. I...just keep an eye on me, okay?"

Steve grinned.

"You've got nothing to worry about."

The two finished their super soldier-sized breakfast and got dressed to go shopping. Bucky wore a long-sleeved dark red shirt, sliding a black glove over his metal hand. It was just cool enough that he could get away with the long sleeves without being suspicious, but he couldn't wear the thick jacket.

He pulled his hair back the way Sam had, loose strands framing the sides of his face.

"You ready?" Steve called from the living room.

"Yeah." Bucky answered, tucking one strand of hair behind his ear as he left the bathroom. Steve was waiting for him, wearing a brown leather jacket. Another one was in his hand, this one black.

"Here, Natasha got it for me a while back. I've never worn it, figured it'd be light enough for you to wear." He said, offering it to Bucky.

"Thanks, Stevie." Bucky replied, taking it and sliding it on. It was just a little big for him, but he figured once he bulked up a little and regained some weight, it would be perfect.

The two left the Tower, heading down to the streets below. Bucky tucked his hands into his jacket pockets as they left the building. He marveled at the buildings and streets, so much different in his memories.

"Weird, huh?" Steve asked. Bucky hadn't noticed he had stopped walking and Steve was a few feet ahead of him.

"Not sure that's the word I would use." Bucky muttered, catching up with Steve.

There was lots of traffic, but there weren't too many people walking along the sidewalks. At least, nowhere near as many as Bucky had seen from the window at around noon.

Their first stop was at a clothing store. Bucky wasn't quite sure where to start, so he just followed Steve around.

He found himself drawn to a long-sleeve olive green one that reminded him of the one he used to wear all the time around the house.