Those Three Words

BB

Bucky wasn't sure if he'd blacked out for a moment, or if it was just too dark to see and he thought he had. Judging by the throbbing in the back of his head, he guessed both.

"Sam?" He croaked. He couldn't move; his right leg was pinned under something heavy.

"Unnnngh," she groaned beside him, accompanied by the sound of shifting rubble. A small glow filled their air pocket, and he realized the flesh beneath her hand was lit up with electricity.

"Your leg," she said, nodding to the pinned down appendage. "I can't lift that off."

He looked down to see it was pinned by a rafter, buried under debris.

"It's okay, Tony can probably get it." Bucky said, hoping he'd heard that over the radio. He hoped help was going to arrive soon; his leg was starting to throb from the weight.

"Bucky! Are you alright?!" Steve asked through his earpiece.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Sam's here, she saved me." Bucky replied.

"Is she...?"

"She's okay. She's Sam." Bucky nodded, noticing Sam grimace. "But uh, guys, I'd appreciate it if you could get this rafter off my leg."

"Where are you?" Tony asked. Bucky looked around to see if he could get a glimpse outside and give Stark an idea, but there was no opening whatsoever.

"Hey, Sam, can you send something up to give them our location?" Bucky asked.

She nodded and grunted as she got into a position where she could make a small opening and reach her hand out.

"They ready?" She asked. Bucky got a confirmation through the radio and said, "Go for it."

The heat of a fireball filled the small cave, making Bucky flinch away.

"Got your location, on our way." Wilson confirmed. Bucky relayed the message to Sam.

She slumped back in her spot.

"Good. I don't think I can do that anymore." She said, exhausted.

He stared at her, still unable to believe it was real.

"What?" She asked.

"I'm just...glad to have you back." He responded.

"That makes two of us." She muttered, staring blankly at the ground.

A frown replaced the smirk on Bucky's face, and he realized it was incredible that she was even this relaxed after what she'd been through.

"Hey, Robocop, you down there?" Tony called from above.

"We're here!" Bucky answered.

Bucky waited for a response, but got none. Instead, he was answered by the creak of metal as the thick rafter was lifted, allowing him to move his leg out from under.

"Let's get out of here." He said after he regained balance on that leg. He used his metal hand to carefully dislodge debris that blocked their exit, making a hole big enough for them to crawl through. The rest of the structure creaked, threatening to cave in.