Run

a/n: Early update! Now, it won't let me put them here due to copyright reasons, but I highly recommend listening to the songs "The Lightning Strike (What If This Storm Ends?)" and "Run" by Snow Patrol, respectively, as you read this chapter. You won't regret it, I promise.

BB

"Sam." He breathed, though she stared at him with the same cold expression that he had given Steve.

Her long dark hair was braided down her back, strands hanging loose on the sides. A black mask similar to his old one covered her mouth, and she wore black gear designed like his. The only difference was it was fitted to her frame, which was smaller than he had remembered. Electricity crackled up her arms like veins, and she stood motionless, waiting for an attack.

"Steve, Clint, stay out of this." Bucky warned without taking his eyes off her.

"Bucky-"

"Steve, this has to be me. I'm the one who let this happen, I'm the one who has to fix it. I'll radio you if I need help; go get Tony and Wilson and find the main base." Bucky ordered. Reluctantly, Steve and Clint both took off.

"You know who I am." Bucky said, though he didn't see any recognition in her eyes. He took a small step forward. She slightly shifted her weight and tilted her head, studying his movements.

"Sam, please...don't make me do this." Bucky pleaded, remembering Steve using a similar tactic on the helicarrier.

The tension between them grew until it hit its max, and Bucky knew she was going to make a move at any moment.

"It's not nice to stare, you know." He said, his voice rough. He saw the slightest look of confusion in her eyes for a split second before she threw her arms forward, sending bolts of lightning to singe the ground where he had once stood.

He rolled and landed neatly on his feet, throwing his metal arm in front of him for protection as another bolt struck. This time she was close enough for him to grab, and when she pulled a long knife from her belt and tried to attack him with it, he flipped her on her back and pinned her down. He winced when he heard her skull make contact with the concrete, but forced himself to stay focused.

"Your name is Samantha Summers, you took me in when I showed up on your porch, you played the piano for me, you convinced me I wasn't a heartless monster." Bucky said. He saw rage burn in her eyes, though he didn't let go. Not until she literally began burning and he couldn't keep her pinned down. She jumped up onto her feet, fire replacing the electricity in her palms.

"Great." Bucky muttered. There was nothing in the empty space for him to dodge behind, but he was saved when he heard the sound of an arrow being loosed.

Suddenly, Sam paused. The fire dimmed before she turned around slowly, and Bucky could see an arrow suspended in midair, floating right behind her upper back.

He followed her gaze up to see Clint perching in one of the rafters above. The archer's eyes widened when the arrow dropped and her hands glowed once more.

Bucky dove to knock her down, but he was too slow; she threw two large fireballs at where Clint had previously been sitting, though he jumped off and grabbed onto another rafter.

"Sam, please. You have to try to fight this." He pleaded. He had her pinned down again by the shoulders, ignoring the heat that burned beneath the armor. She pulled another knife from her hip, but before she could use it, Bucky kicked it away. Her eyes scrunched in anger, and her shoulders became too hot to keep hold of. Still, he kept her arms pinned down with his knees.