Ships and Coffee

BB

Bucky woke to Sam's back pressed against his shoulder. He hadn't noticed her shift in her sleep, and usually he was a light sleeper. Well, at least since the whole "joining the army" thing, anyways. Before that, he used to fall into mini-comas. He realized he actually got a decent amount of sleep, the best he'd had since that night on the couch with Steve.

He knew Sam needed him for the same reason he needed Steve; it was for reassurance.

Bucky recalled how he sat with her on the floor as she fell asleep against his shoulder, and again in the barn. He never thought about the amount of trust she must've already had to be comfortable enough to fall asleep anywhere near him. She wasn't a stupid person, either. It wasn't stupidity that had driven her to do such things.

He gently eased himself up off the bed as not to wake her.

When he went to the kitchen, he realized Steve was nowhere to be found.

Maybe he's just training. Probably couldn't sleep.

Bucky sighed and started the coffee machine, making a full pot; he knew he was going to need it.

His brow creased as he heard a thud from the floor above. It was followed by a muffled "Wake up the grumpy assassins, why don't you?!"

That one was established as Tony.

"Please. You can't smell the coffee? Barnes is up." Clint said. He popped his head down the hole with the spiral staircase. "Aren't you?"

"What are you guys doing up there?" Bucky asked.

"Well, uh, it's kinda supposed to be a surprise. But we're fixing it up for you and Sam. Not Bird Bro Sam, your Sam."

Bucky's brow scrunched.

"Me? How many rooms are up there?" He asked.

"One. But I saw you two cuddling." The archer replied.

"She was scared, she needed comfort."

Clint looked at him skeptically.

"Yeah." He returned, obviously not believing him. "Regardless, we're fixing it up. You're gonna love it."

"Can I see?" Bucky asked, approaching the staircase.

"Sorry, man, can't let you up. Captain's orders." Barton replied, blocking his entrance. "You won't be able to go up there for a few days though- there's still some stuff to put up there and the paint has to dry."

Bucky rolled his eyes and waited for the coffee to finish brewing, leaning against the counter with his arms crossed.

"Hey, why don't you take her out? Go get her some clothes, take a day off from training. You deserve it, both of you."

"HYDRA's looking for us. They already know I'm here, it's just a matter of time before they come after us. We should really be on the run right now, not getting settled in the Tower." Bucky pointed out. "Me being here alone put you all in danger. Now that you've got two of HYDRA's Assets-"

"Former Assets." He heard Steve correct from behind him. Apparently he'd been in his room. "They don't control you anymore."