If I Didn't Care For You

SS

Freedom. It was something she hadn't really thought about much. At least, not until HYDRA took her and made her into a weapon, controlling her every move.

It had only taken them two weeks to revive her, train her, and alter her body to make her a weapon fit to take down a super soldier. That was what scared her the most; if Bucky hadn't found her and saved her, he would be dead and she would be back at HYDRA. And god knows what they would've made her do after that.

She finished her shower quickly, wanting to get back out to Bucky as soon as possible; he was her anchor. He pulled her from the mind control, he saved her and took her home, he's caring for her. It was everything she had done for him when she found him broken and half-dead on her porch.

After she threw on her undergarments, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. She almost couldn't believe what she saw; within two weeks, they had managed to get rid of every single ounce of fat on her waist and arms, replacing them with muscles. Seriously, she'd always joked about wanting a six pack, and now she had one. Her eyes were sunken in more, as were her cheeks. She realized this was what Bucky looked like when she found him.

She shook her head and threw on the clothes Bucky gave her. She wasn't too upset about the improvements to her body, although it would've been better if it was under different circumstances.

She had to use the drawstring on Bucky's pants to get them to stay (whereas they probably would've been just fine before), and the shirt was much looser around the torso than she'd expected. She'd always had broad shoulders and a good bust, thanks to her ancestors on her mother's side.

"Thank God," she muttered when she realized her assets hadn't really been affected much.

She dried her hair as best as she could with the towel and left the bathroom, old uniform in her hands. She folded the pants and laid them neatly next to Bucky's, stacked on top of her jacket and vest.

Next she padded out to the living room, where she found a record player. She wound it up and played the album that was currently on, which happened to be the Ink Spots. She hummed along to "If I Didn't Care" as she looked around for a cup in the kitchen.

"I see you found the record player." Bucky said, drying off the ends of his hair. He wore a gray shirt and black sweatpants, which Sam decided didn't look too bad on him.

"What, you thought you could hide it from me?" She asked, finally finding a cup for some water. She filled it up in the sink, too impatient to wait for the fridge to fill it up.

"Oh hey, while you're back there, do you have a sweatshirt I can borrow?" Sam called after her second glass. He'd gone back to his room to throw his towel in the basket she saw by the door.

"Yeah, hang on." Bucky returned.

Since her hair was so long and it took forever to dry, Sam got cold if she didn't dry it. Plus, if it was an excuse to wear a sweatshirt, she'd take it; sweatshirts and oversized flannels were her favorites.

Bucky returned with a black hoodie, the circular Captain America shield logo on the front.

"Steve took me shopping and I thought it would be funny." He explained.

"Thanks." Sam laughed as she threw the sweatshirt on, pulling her damp hair out from it.

It was large on her, as was everything else, but it was warm and comfortable and smelled like Bucky, and that's all she cared about.