Hawkward

SR

Steve woke the next morning at 4 AM, after the same recurring nightmare of losing Bucky on the train caused him to wake screaming. He knew there was no going back to sleep at that point, so he padded out to the kitchen to grab a glass of orange juice and watch TV until Bucky woke up.

That is, until he noticed Bucky's door wide open.

At first, he figured Bucky was just reverting to the way things used to be and was sleeping with his door open. But when he stepped closer and peeked inside, the bed was still made.

"JARVIS, where's Bucky?" Steve asked.

"Mr. Barnes is in the training room with Mr. Barton." JARVIS replied.

Steve hit the button for the training room floor in the elevator, and when it opened, he heard yelling.

"No, more to the left!" Barton yelled.

"Right there?" Bucky asked.

"Oh yeah, that's good!"

"Steve would kill me if he knew we were doing this."

"Just juggle my balls already! What Steve doesn't know won't hurt him."

Steve was obviously very concerned with what he was hearing. Bucky had never said...and Clint didn't strike him as the type...

When he rounded the corner, he was shocked at what he saw.

Clint was atop one of the high rafters, crouched with his bow aimed. Bucky had three tennis balls and was juggling them high enough that they arched a foot or so above his head.

It was pretty bad that the first thought that came to Steve was Thank God.

"Count of three!" Bucky yelled. "One-"

Clint shot one of the balls when it arched above Bucky's head, and it stuck in a board they had put behind him.

"Really, Barton?!"

"Couldn't resis- oh shit." Clint said, cutting himself off when he saw Steve.

"Wha- oh."

Bucky looked over as Steve walked forward.

"Heh heh, hey, Stevie!" Bucky said nervously, throwing the tennis balls behind him. An apologetic grin was on his face as he scratched the back of his head.

"What the hell are you doing?" Steve asked.

"Uh, well-" Bucky began, only to be interrupted by Clint saying, "It was his idea!"

"I hope your little hawk eyes can see this!" Bucky said as he threw his arm up, middle finger raised.

"Aww, thanks, buddy!" Barton yelled.

"No problem, pal!" Bucky returned sarcastically. He turned back to Steve, whose arms were crossed.

"I couldn't sleep, so I came down here. Clint came in a while later, and we got to talking, and, well..."

"Tennis balls!" Barton yelled, climbing down from his position.

"You could've gotten hurt!" Steve scolded.

"Yeah, and who was always draggin' your ass outta fights you just had to start?" Bucky returned.

"That was different!"

"C'mon, Steve, you know I wouldn't let anything happen to him." Clint said, this time serious.

"What if something had? You're shooting arrows inches above his head! What if one hit him?" Steve asked.