Chapter 12, "I can't be around you."

JASON MCCANN

I sat in one of the cold metal chair in the hospital, staring at my whole life. Jasmine. I can't believe this happened. I got her in all this trouble. 

I only have a sprained ankle with a cast on it and bruises anywhere. Jasmine had it bad, though. She has a broken leg, cuts all over her face, and she had to have surgery because she had something stuck in her back from the floor boards.

"McCann," a firm voice said, walking over to the chair next to me, sitting now. Stokes.

"I want you to do something for me," he spoke, no expression in his voice at all. "Forget it." I spat, my eyes never leaving Jasmine's pale body on the hospital bed.

"Just listen to what I have to say," he paused. "You need to leave Jasmine alone."  I snapped my head up at him after he said that. 

"You can forget that. Why don't you take you're head out of your ass and realize that Timothy is still running around, and Jasmine is going to be vulnerable," I growled. 

"The police are going to handle Timothy." he said with a low tone. "Like that happened so well last time," I scoffed. "We know what his motivation is now," Stokes paused. "He only wants Jasmine." 

"No, that's not what he wants," I hissed. "That proves that you know absolutely nothing about him."

"Why, what else does he wants?" Nick asked, throwing his hands up in the air.

I stayed completely silent, sliding my hand into the left pocket of my red and white sweatpants. "MCCANN!" 

"You want her safe, right?" he asked. I nodded my head slowly, my eyes never leaving Jasmine. "Then do the right thing. Back off. Tell her you don't love her, and then leave. Don't come back, and don't look back." he ordered. 

"Fine, but this doesn't change one freaking thing about what you did to my brother. You're still going to pay." I spat. "Jason," a small voice choked out. I knew exactly who it was.

"I'll let you do you're business, McCann." Nick said, stepping out into the hallway.

I stood up and walked over to the chair next to Jasmine's hospital bed. "What happened?" she asked quietly. "The building collapsed on top of us," I explained. "Where's Timothy?" she spoke up.

"He's not dead. But I know he's not coming back for a while." I told her. "I have to tell you something important, though." I said, thinking about what Stokes said.

"What is it?" she asked, her eyes never leaving mine. "I can't----" I paused for a minute and licked my lips before I spoke up. "I can't do this anymore." I explained. Her dark brown chocolate eyes turned shallow.

"You can't do what?" she wondered. 

"I can't be around you, Jasmine. I put you in enough danger as it is. I mean, look what happened. Timothy almost killed you."

"He almost killed you too though!" she cried. "I just need to go," I told her firmly, standing up. I felt another warm hand attach to mine. "Jasmine, please don't. My dad told you to do this didn't he!"  

"Bye, Jasmine." I said softly, letting go of her hand heading towards the door. "I love you." were the last words I heard before walking out. I shut the door behind me, walking past Stokes. 

"I hope you're happy, you'll be dead soon enough." I threatened him, hitting his shoulder on mine purposely before leaving. I just left my whole entire world in that hospital room. Now, I can't look back.

JASMINE STOKES

My dad walked into the room, sitting down in the chair next to my hospital bed. I never made any eye contact with him at all. I can't even bare to look at him.

"Jasmine," he sighed.

"Please, just don't talk to me. I know you told him to leave." I explained.

I can't believe Jason left me. I remember up on the roof. He said that he'd never let me go. But, you know what? He did. He let me go.