Prologue

(Dedicated to every single one of you who decided to give this book a chance. It means a lot.)

* * * 

" . . . will you, Hazel Haskett, marry me?"

Time froze as Hazel stared at Sawyer, her eyes wide in shock. She opened her mouth, then shut it, not trusting herself to speak.

Everyone's eyes were fixed intently on Hazel, waiting for her to speak. Everyone was waiting with bated breath, anticipating what she was going to say.

At last, Hazel drew in a deep breath. Tears stung her eyes and she whispered with a reminiscent tone, "This is where we first met. I have so memories of that day, of you, and of us . . . I remember the time I first saw you, Sawyer. You made me feel confused, and I didn't know why—not until now, at least. You made me confused because I saw something in you that I had never seen in anyone else before. I saw something special in you—something that nobody else had . . . We've had our ups and downs and we've had our share of bitter misunderstandings, but even while we were a bit rocky, I realized something." She looked him directly in the eyes, holding his gaze. "I love you, Sawyer. I love you."

Sawyer held Hazel's gaze levelly, his eyes wide and glimmering with hope. "So . . . ?"

"I will, Sawyer. I will."

"You— You will?" Sawyer's voice was filled with surprise, and his eyes widened—if possible—even further.

Hazel laughed softly, tears falling down her cheeks. "How could I say no to someone like you, Sawyer? Of course I'll marry you. My answer is yes!"

Sawyer hesitated as he picked the ring out of the box. "Are you sure about this? I don't want to force you to do anything you don't wan—"

Hazel leaned down towards Sawyer and kiss him—effectively shutting him up and sealing her acceptance of his proposal.

A chorus of oohs and aahs swept through the group gathered around them, followed by an onslaught of claps and cheers.

Hazel pulled away from Sawyer. "I love you so much, Sawyer. Of course I will marry you!"

Sawyer grasped Hazel's hand and slipped the ring onto her finger. It sparkled in the remaining sunlight, and as Hazel caught a closer glimpse of it, she gasped.

"It's beautiful."

Two dolphins—one gold, and the other silver, both with diamonds set into them—were entwined together. Entwined together like Hazel and Sawyer's hands. Entwined together like their hearts.

Entwined together—forever.