Chapter [9]

C h a p t e r   N i n e

THE TOILET WALLS WERE CLOSING in, leeching all the air out of Hazel's lungs. Although she wasn't remotely claustrophobic, it was still too much for her to handle. She fumbled with the door latch, finally managing to slide it across, opening the door. In a blind panic to get out of the tight, confined space, she hurled herself out of the toilet, colliding with someone who was standing right outside.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!"

The person she had unceremoniously crashed into simply laughed, helping Hazel regain her balance. "It's fine. First time going to the toilet on an airplane?"

Hazel nodded, her cheeks reddening slightly.

The boy shook his head, smirking slightly. "You'll get used to it after a while, I assure you."

Hazel grimaced. "I don't know about that," she said, turning her head to glare at the sign on the door that read 'toilet'. After a while, she turned back to face the boy who was now eyeing her curiously. "Can I help you with something?"

The boy frowned slightly. "You look really, really familiar. Do I know you from somewhere? Are you famous or something?"

Hazel, who had been about to confirm the boy's suspicions caught herself just in time; she had remembered that she and Sawyer were supposed to be keeping a low profile. So far, only the Immigration officers at Tampa International Airport, as well as the odd passers-by had recognized them - nobody else - and Hazel preferred it to be that way.

"Um, no. I don't think so, anyway. I've never seen you before, have I?"

The boy shrugged. "Maybe I'm just confusing you with someone else."

Hazel nodded hastily. "Yes, you probably are. I get that all the time."

The boy raised an eyebrow. "I see. Well, if you'll excuse me, there was a reason why I was standing out here."

Hazel flushed, moving out of the way of the toilet door. "Oh, of course."

The boy opened the door and shut it, but a few seconds later, just as Hazel was about to walk away, he opened it again. "I'm Will, in case you're interested. Will Evans. And I'm fifteen."

Hazel cocked her head to the side, smiling awkwardly. She couldn't help noticing that Will's eyes were glazed over with a dreamy look, as well as the fact that his pupils were dilated, too. "Well, Will, it was nice to meet you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to my, um . . . husband. He'll be wondering where I am."

Will's eyebrows shot up until they were obscured by his boyish fringe of chestnut brown hair. "Husband?" He laughed nervously. "Well, you certainly don't want to keep him waiting." And with that, he slid the door shut and bolted it before Hazel could even say another word.

Hazel stared at the door for a second. She could bear the boy muttering something from within the confinements of the toilet, but she didn't bother eavesdropping; she had already guessed what it was about. Hazel shook her head. Teenagers these days.

"There you are! I was wondering where you'd gotten to."

Hazel stiffened when she felt someone wrap their arms around her, but relaxed when she realized that it was only Sawyer.

She smiled, leaning back into Sawyer's arms. "Hey! Sorry to keep you waiting . . . I had a run in with a random stranger. I think he was, well . . . hitting on me."

Sawyer released Hazel from his arms and spun her around. "Well," he said, a smile lighting up his features, "I'm not that surprised, given how beautiful you are, both inside and out." The smile slipped off his face and he lowered his voice, whispering into Hazel's ear, "Now, tell me, did he recognize you?"