Chapter [31]

C h a p t e r   T h i r t y   O n e

WHEN HAZEL AND SAWYER WERE dropped off at CMA the next morning by Lorraine, neither of them expected to see a group of people in fluorescent vests, shin-high boots, and hard helmets milling around.

Upon seeing them, they both immediately came to the conclusion that these were construction workers.

"Oh no," Hazel breathed, "they're going to demolish CMA!"

"Or, you know, they could be here to rebuild," Sawyer suggested. He glanced around before placing an arm around Hazel's shoulder. "Come, let's see if we can find your dad and ask him about what's going on."

They scanned the vicinity, and it wasn't long before Sawyer spotted him.

He tapped Hazel on the shoulder and pointed. "There."

In the midst of it all stood Dr. Clay, his arms folded, shoulders slumped, expression unreadable. And before him stood a construction worker, whose stance and posture was so rigid, still, and purposeful that he may have been a statue made of granite wearing a high-visibility, fluorescent vest and matching hard-hat.

Wordlessly, they made their way over to them, stopping when they were within hearing range. What they heard could have been interpreted different ways but from Dr. Clay's body language, an immediate sense of impending doom settled in the pits of their stomachs. And sure enough, their suspicions were confirmed seconds later, when the construction worker spoke once more.

"We'll be back in one week to begin demolishing the main building. Until then, I just need you to sign this and then fill in these forms, please - just a formality."

Hazel's legs suddenly felt weakened and she had to lean against Sawyer for support.

"No," she whispered, shaking her head. "No. Pinch me, Sawyer, and when I wake up all this will be a dream. The storm wouldn't have occurred and none of this destruction would have happened. . . . Clearwater Marine Aquarium isn't being demolished - no, this is all a dream. Just a nightmare."

Sawyer turned his head to glance down at Hazel, his heart breaking at the spark of hope that was still dancing in her eyes as she gazed up at him, her eyes wide, pleading. He shook his head. "No, this isn't a dream, Hazel. This is what's happening - this is reality. It's the truth, and we can't hide from it."

"No," Hazel said, still refusing to believe that what she had heard was true. "No, pinch me and this nightmare will all be over."

"Hazel. . . ."

"Pinch me, Sawyer," Hazel hissed, her eyes wide and full of desperation. "Just do it!"

At the sound of his daughter's distraught voice, Dr. Clay's gaze sought hers and he automatically began walking towards them, his expression still unable to be read.

"Hey," he said softly, once he was within earshot, "what's going on?"

Jumping straight to the point, Hazel spun around, her hair whipping Sawyer in the face. Muttering a quick apology, she gazed imploringly up at her father. "Is it true? Is Clearwater Marine Aquarium really being demolished? Please say no; please say that this is just a figment of my vivid imagination."

"I would, Hazel, but then I'd be lying."

It was at that moment that Hazel's world, once again, came crashing down to her feet.

Life at the moment was a vicious cycle-worlds being brought crashing down, rebuilt, only to be brought down once more. It was a cycle that, by the looks of it, never had an end point.