Chapter [11]

"HEY, YOU DID GREAT OUT there, Callista. Hosting one of our shows isn't an easy job, but you appear to be a natural."

Callista placed the microphone down with the other equipment and glanced up at Dr. Clay. "Thanks. I always wanted to host one of them, but I wish Sawyer was here. It would have been awesome to work with him on one of these shows."

Dr. Clay sighed. "Maybe when Hazel and Sawyer get back I'll let you two do a show together. How does that sound?"

Callista grinned. "Thanks, Dr. Clay. That sounds great." She sighed, glancing around at the other Clearwater Marine Aquarium employees milling around, carrying out their daily tasks. "It's so different without Hazel and Sawyer . . . it seems quieter and emptier. Do you know when they'll be back? I know it's only been a day or so, but it seems like they've been gone for ever. I miss them."

Sighing despondently, he shrugged. "I wish I knew when they'd be back, but who knows? It's up to them, really. And yes, I miss them, too . . . but I don't want to be selfish and ask them to come back. They deserve a holiday; they've done so much here at CMA, and they've been through so much together. They really do deserve this holiday."

Callista nodded. "I know. I just hope that they get back soon. Everyone seems to miss them―Winter included―and I just hope that they come back soon; everything is so different without them."

* * *

Hazel glanced into the mirror, smiling as she dried her hair. The hotel she and Sawyer had checked into wasn't all that fancy, but as long as it had a bed and bathroom as well as a few other necessities, they didn't really mind. After all, having each other was a luxury in itself.

"Hazel, are you all right in there?"

Hazel's eyes flicked to the closed door behind which she knew Sawyer would be standing. Her smile grew, dimples embedding themselves on her rose-tinted cheeks. "I've never been better," she replied, now wrapping a clean, dry towel around her head. "I'll be out in a minute or so."

After slipping into a grey CMA t-shirt and black shorts, Hazel opened the bathroom door and stepped out into the bedroom. The television was on, and a news reporter was talking about the latest Prime Ministerial election in Canada. The news reporter spoke in a monotone that made Hazel look away from the TV. She glanced around the room and caught sight of Sawyer staring at something on top of the mantelpiece.

Sawyer turned when he heard the bathroom door open. "Come here, I want to show you something."

Intrigued, Hazel moved to stand beside Sawyer by the mantelpiece. She smiled when she saw what he was looking at. "It's a Winter bobble-head. I guess that the owners of this hotel are either supporters of Winter, or they just put it here because they knew we were coming. Either way, it was nice of them."

"I'm going to say that he's a big supporter of Winter and Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Didn't you notice the other Winter and Hope merchandise on the front desk?"

Hazel shrugged. "No, not really. I was thinking about other things."

Sawyer caught sight of the sad, reminiscent look on her face before it was quickly disguised by a neutral expression. Even so, he could still make out the melancholy emotion that glazed her eyes.

Turning to face Hazel, he reached out to grasp her hands, squeezing them lightly. His eyes met Hazel's, silently pleading for her to tell him what was wrong. When Hazel said nothing, Sawyer walked her over to the king-sized bed and sank down beside her, letting go of her hands.

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence in which they just sat there, Hazel staring her hands and Sawyer trying to get her to look at him. Then:

"I know you miss Clearwater Marine Aquarium: the animals, and everyone who works there, Hazel. I do, too. And I know that it's hard leaving the place you've called home for your entire life, even if it's only for a few weeks . . . but this is a great opportunity to see what's outside CMA. It's an adventure of a lifetime, Hazel, and we love adventures, don't we?"

Silence. Sawyer sighed as he tried to think of something else to say. Hazel's eyes remained fixed on her hands that were clasped together tightly on her lap.

"Look, if you really miss CMA, we could always just go home. We could book some tickets tonight and fly home within a few days. If that's what you want, then I can go and book some tickets right n―"

"No."

"―ow. No?"

Hazel glanced up at Sawyer, shaking her head. "No, don't book tickets home―not yet, at least. I'll be fine; I have you, after all, and is a pleasure in itself . . . right?"

Sawyer reached out to seize her hands, caressing them tenderly with his thumbs. "If you think so. But having you here is definitely a pleasure in itself, to me. There is nobody―not even my mother or your father―other than you that I'd love to spend some quality time with, alone. But are you sure you don't want me to book us tickets? You won't be ruining any plans, or anything―it's not like we had any in the first place."

Hazel shook her head, a smile eradicating the despondent expression that had once resided within her eyes. "No, it's fine―I promise. You see, this just one of many reasons as to why I like you. You get me; you actually understand me. And aside from that, you're actually willing to sacrifice a few things for me."

Sawyer smiled, squeezing Hazel's hand gently. "Well, what can I say? You're worth it."

"And so are you," Hazel said softly.

"So, where do you want to go tomorrow?" Sawyer asked, his eyes wandering over to the television which was now displaying a weather report. "Oh, hang on . . . what's this about a red-alert storm warning?"

Hazel slipped her hands out of Sawyer's grasp and reached for the remote control, turning the TV's volume up a few notches.

" . . . south-eastern Canada is expected to be the hardest hit by one of the worst summer storms we've had since the North American derecho in the June of 2012. Residents are being evacuated to nearby evacuation centers . . . "

Sawyer sighed in relief. "We're okay, then. Vancouver is in the western side of Canada."

" . . . the storm is expected to continue its path of destruction down the eastern side of Canada and down into the United States. Meteorologists are keeping track of its progress, but at its current rate of movement and activity, the storm is expected to reach the south-eastern side of the United States . . . "

Hazel and Sawyer both turned to face each other, speechless.

"Florida is on the south-eastern side of the United States . . . "

Hazel nodded slowly, her face blanching. "And so is Clearwater Marine Aquarium."