Chapter [3]

C h a p t e r T h r e e

"You can look, now."

Hazel's heart thumped wildy against her ribcage as she drew in a deep breath and slowly opened her eyes.

"What do you think?"

Hazel ran a hand down the smooth, velvety fabric that flared down to the floor in gentle waves. It was soft, white---like it was made out of clouds.

"I personally think you look gorgeous, Hazel."

Hazel's eyes met her reflection in the floor-length mirror and she blinked, for the transformation was so surreal she could hardly recognize herself.

"Is that . . . me?" she breathed, taking in her new appearance. And boy, it really was a lot to take in.

Her hair, golden in the fine light, cascaded down in gentle waves down past her shoulders, and a wreath of blue flowers had been placed in her hair to add a splash of color. Her dress, glowing white, flowed elegantly to the floor, fanning out behind her.

"You didn't do any make-up?"

Lorraine Nelson shook her head. "Why would I when you have so much natural beauty?"

Hazel smiled at her. "Thanks, Mrs. Nelson."

Lorraine smiled back, giving Hazel a pat on the shoulder. "Please, call me Lorraine. That way I don't feel so old."

"I'm sure you've got plenty of years, Lorraine. And besides, age is only a number."

Lorraine continued smiling. "That's true, and I have living proof right in front of me. You're wise beyond your years, Hazel. You should be a motivational speaker."

Hazel sighed, shrugging. "Maybe someday . . . "

* * *

"You better take care of Hazel when I officially hand her over to you, Sawyer."

Sawyer laughed softly, his fingers fumbling, fighting to keep his nerves at bay, as he adjusted his blue tie. "I'll do my best."

Dr. Clay grinned and clapped a hand on Sawyer's shoulder, creasing the once neatly pressed suit. "I'm sure you'll be fine. I believe in you---and I also trust you---or I wouldn't let you marry my daughter in the first place."

The boa constrictor that had been squeezing all the air out of Sawyer's lungs suddenly relinquished its strangle hold---the elephant that had been sitting on his shoulders vanished. Sawyer was suddenly able to breathe easily again, and he felt as though a weight had been lifted of his shoulder. He drew in a deep breath, silently telling his nerves to stop going all haywire, and smiled at Dr. Clay---the man whom he had grown to care for and respect.

"Thanks."

* * *

Sawyer looked up from the soft sand as soon as Here Comes the Bride began to play across the speakers, and his heart seemed to melt as his eyes met an angel's. Hazel, decked out in a glowing white dress that rippled as she glided forward, came walking down the make-shift aisle. The sun was just beginning to set, creating a halo of light just above her head, completing the angelic look. Dr. Clay was right beside Hazel, smiling as guests clapped and cheered. The clapping and cheering subsided as they neared the priest.

"You look like an angel," Sawyer mouthed, his eyes alight with an indecipherable emotion. Perhaps it was awe, happiness, or maybe it was something a little stronger: Love.

Hazel's lips curved upwards in a genuine smile. "You look handsome," she mouthed back.

The wedding march stopped and all eyes turned to the priest who cleared his throat.

"Who gives this woman to be married to this man?" the priest said, directing his question at Dr. Clay.

Dr. Clay glanced at his daughter, before turning his gaze to Sawyer. He smiled and returned his gaze to the priest. "I do."

* * *

"You shall be my roots and I will be your shade, though the sun burns my leaves. You shall quench my thirst and I will feed you fruit, though time takes my seed. And when I'm lost and can tell nothing of this earth, you will give me hope. And my voice you will always hear. And my hand you will always have. Together, we shall count the days from one to infinity, and I shall forever remain by your side. For I will shelter you, and I will comfort you, and even when we're nothing left-not even in death-I will remember you. And so I take you, Sawyer Nelson, to be my best friend, my faithful partner, and my one true love. I promise to encourage you and inspire you and to love you truly through good times and bad. I will forever be there to laugh with you, to lift you up when you are down, and to love you unconditionally through all of our adventures in life together."

"I fell in love with the way your eyes shone when you laughed. I fell in love with the way you liked the smell of the sea and freedom. I fell in love with the small things. The way time seemed to slow when I was with you, and the loud beating of my heart when I wasn't. I miss the way you would always hold me close when it felt like the world was against me, and the way you'd look at me and tell me that everything would be okay. I fell in your eyes and they never let me go. I fell completely, utterly, madly in love with you. I love you, Hazel Haskett, as I love no other. All that I am I share with you. I take you to be my wife through health and sickness, through plenty and want, through joy and sorrow, now and forever."

Rings, glinting in the dying rays of sunlight, were exchanged as claps swept through the guests, to be followed by a sudden silence as the priest cleared his throat yet again.

"Throughout this ceremony, Hazel Haskett and Sawyer Nelson have vowed, in our presence, to be loyal and loving towards each other. They have formalized the existence of the bond between them with words spoken and with the giving and receiving of rings. Therefore, it is my pleasure to now pronounce them husband and wife." The priest turned to face Sawyer, smiling gently. "You may now kiss your bride."

* * *

I took a bit of a poem by Mark Z. Danielewski (House of Leaves, 2000) and put it into Hazel's vow to Sawyer. No copyright infringement intended.