Chapter [4]

C h a p t e r   F o u r  

Days had passed since the official wedding of Hazel and Sawyer. Unfortunately, the media had gotten hold of the story and even a few sneaky pictures which were now spread all over the internet. There were reporters by the Clearwater Marine Aquarium doors day and night, forbidding Hazel or Sawyer from leaving the building. Unfortunately for those leaving CMA after work, they were showered, bombarded, and assaulted with a variety of differently phrased questions each demanding the same answer: Was there ever going to be a new addition to the newly-weds?

So far Hazel and Sawyer had done well in avoiding the reporters, but they knew that they wouldn't be able to hide from them for ever; they were like honey to the bees, and the bees would stop at nothing to get to them. Sooner or later they were going to have to face the persistent swarm of bees that stuck to the doors like honey, blocking off any possible escape routes.

As Hazel watched one of the poor CMA employees get swallowed by a swarm of hungry bees from the safety of an upstairs window, her mind wandered to the possibility of exploring the world, of leaving the nest, of leaving the place she had called home ever since she had been born. Something in her mind told her that she had an obligation to stay at Clearwater Marine Aquarium, to fulfil her duty as a member of the CMA team . . . But something in her heart told her to go out and explore the world. There was a longing, a lust to go out and explore whatever the world held.

"Sawyer . . . can I ask you something?"

Sawyer, who had been staring at the calendar on the wall for the past few minutes jerked out of his trance, irritated. "It has almost been a week, Hazel. A week! And the reporters are still outside. They're like lions chasing prey, hunters closing in for the kill, soldiers waiting for the ideal moment to launch their attack. If they don't go away, then we won't be able to leave here anytime soon. They're going to drive us all insane, mad!"

Hazel was taken aback by Sawyer's outburst, but she understood why he was so outraged. She too was angered and upset by the media's overbearing presence—didn't they know when to back off?

"I was doing some thinking," she said slowly, carefully monitoring Sawyer's reactions, "and I think that it would be good to leave Clearwater Marine Aquarium for a bit."

Sawyer sighed, shrugging. "I don't know, Hazel. CMA is our home—it always has been—and I don't think it'll be a good idea to leave. I mean, if we leave, then we'll just add more burden on to the shoulders of others as they'll have to deal with the media as well as other duties . . . and I don't want that, do you?"

Hazel shook her head. "No, I don't. But if you think about it, Sawyer, the media are here because of us. If we leave, don't you think the media will follow us like a fish attracted to bait? They'll probably come and tail us instead of setting up camp here, by the doors, day in day out."

Sawyer's blank facial expression did not mask the scepticism held within his eyes. "I don't know, Hazel. I mean, there are so many things that could go wrong in your plan . . . "

Hazel nodded. "I am well aware of that, but can you think of any other ideas? I mean, we could potentially sit and wait them out, but that could take years—"

"They'll give up eventually when they realize that they're not going to get anything out of us, or anyone, for that matter."

"—and we don't have years, do we?"

"No," Sawyer said grimly. "We don't. But how do you know that they'll follow us and not simply just stay here and wait for us to return?"

"Reporters aren't going to pass up the chance to catch us alone, okay? Trust me, when we leave, they'll follow us like a police dog chasing down a criminal."

"And if they don't? What if they're lazy and can't be bothered to chase after us?"

Hazel rolled her eyes and moved to sit beside Sawyer. "Honestly, you worry too much. Trust me, as soon as the media hear we're leaving, they'll be on to us within five seconds. They can smell a good story like a bloodhound can sniff out prey, and once they've caught it, they'll never let it go."

"So you're suggesting that we draw the media away from CMA and then let ourselves get caught by them? If that's the case, we may as well just go outside and give a statement right now."

Hazel shook her head, smiling slightly. "No, we're not going to let them catch us. We'd go into hiding, and when the story's died down, we'll come back out into the open."

"You make us sound like criminals on the run," Sawyer said ruefully. "Besides, if we stay in Florida, they'll still be able to find us, one way or another."

"Not if we leave the country," Hazel said slyly. "We could go to Australia—I've always wanted to go there—"

"What?"

"—or we could go to Canada . . . "

"So you're actually serious about this whole running and hiding scheme of yours?"

"Yes."

"And you're convinced it's going to work?"

Hazel grinned. "Well, you never know until you try it. Besides, it'll be an adventure, right? And we love adventures."

Sawyer still looked doubtful. "I don't know. Give me a few days to think about it, okay?"

Hazel nodded. "Sure. Just don't take too long. The more the media stays outside CMA's doors, the more aggravated and determined they become. If we don't act soon things could become disastrous. Think carefully, but think fast."

Sawyer nodded before turning his gaze back to the calendar, glaring at it. "I will.