Chapter [30]

C h a p t e r   T h i r t y

It was nightfall when Hazel was finally discharged from the hospital two days later, and the few stars that they could actually see in the city had come out to play, twinkling brightly against the black canvas of a sky. As she stepped out of the hospital, Hazel raised her head to the heavens above and drew in a deep breath; after spending almost a week within the confinements of her room, she was finally free—and what a blissful feeling it was. The cool breeze on her face told her that autumn was coming and that they'd finally be relieved of the sultry summer's air that had brought about so many terrible things and had implanted so many dreadful memories into people's minds—memories that they were so desperate to forget about.

"Come on, Hazel, let's get you over to our house," Lorraine said, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I'd take you to Phoebe's house, but I don't know the way. Besides, you father said it was all right for you to stay with us for as long as you need."

Hazel sighed, her moving her gaze away from the night sky and onto Lorraine's face. "Thanks. I'm sorry if I'm a burden on you and Sawyer . . . Lorraine," she said, liking the way her mother-in-law's name flowed naturally off of her tongue.

Lorraine smiled, a genuine grin that made her eyes light up, sparkling like the stars above their heads. "Oh, not at all, Hazel. You're definitely not a burden—you're a gift to both myself and Sawyer. An extremely precious gift, I might add."

Hazel felt the desperation building up within her as she tried to form words within her mind, but every time it came to saying what she thought, she seized up and merely stood there, looking like a fish out of water. After several attempts at speaking her thoughts, she gave up and pulled Lorraine into a bone-crushing hug, hoping that she'd be able to convey her thoughts and emotions physically.

Lorraine chuckled and pulled away from Hazel, taking her hand and squeezing it gently. "Come—let's go. Sawyer's still up waiting for you."

"He is?"

Lorraine nodded, smiling. "Yeah. Sawyer will do anything for you—even if it means waiting up late so that he can greet you when you arrive. So let's not keep him waiting for any longer, shall we?"

"Before we go, I just wanted to say thank you—for everything," Hazel said hastily. "You've done so much for me, and I feel like I've done absolutely nothing for you."

"Hey, you're my daughter-in-law, and you've done way more for me than you could possibly have ever imagined. Enough said. Now—come on; the love of your life awaits."

* * *

"You two can sleep in my bed tonight; Sawyer's bed it too small for both of you," Lorraine said, ambling into the living room and ruffling Sawyer's hair. "I'll take the couch."

"No, really, it's fine," Hazel said hastily. "I'll take the couch."

"No—I'll take the couch," Lorraine said. "Really, it's all right, Hazel. Besides, you two deserve to spend some time together; I think after all that's happened, it would be good for you guys to spend some time alone."

"Are you sure?" Hazel asked hesitantly, glancing between Sawyer and his mother.

"One-hundred percent certain," Lorraine said, nodding vigorously. "Now, off you go—I'll see you both in the morning."

"Thank you, Lorraine," Hazel said, smiling at the way her name rolled off her tongue so smoothly, without any hesitation. "Really—thank you for everything."

"It's okay. Now—go!"

Sawyer stood, pulling Hazel up, and turned to face his mother. "I don't mind you sleeping in my bed, you know," he said simply. "In fact, I want you to sleep in my bed; you're working tomorrow so you need a good night's rest, which won't happen, by the way, if you're sleeping on the couch."