Chapter [8]

C h a p t e r E i g h t

"WHEN DO WE TAKE OFF?" Hazel asked, glancing out of the small round window at the tarmac below.

Sawyer glanced at his watch. "Soon, I think," he said, smiling as he squeezed Hazel's hand. "Excited?"

To say that Hazel was excited was a major understatement; she was elated . . . but she was also nervous and ever-so-slightly frightened. There were a lot of stigmas and rumors attached to flying, and Hazel wasn't sure whether to believe them or not. However, with all the news reports of planes being shot down and disappearing off radars, she was, to a certain degree, frightened and apprehensive of flying. But then again, flying with Sawyer made things better; he made her feel safe and comfortable-it was just in his personality.

"Hey," said Sawyer, a worried expression masking his smile, "are you okay? What are you thinking about?"

Hazel smiled reassuringly. "Yeah, I'm okay. Just a bit nervous, that's all. But I'm okay, especially now that I've got you with me; I wouldn't be able to do this on my own. I'm so lucky to have you in my life, Sawyer. So, so lucky."

"And I'm extremely lucky to have you, Hazel. And don't worry about ever having to do things on your own. Unless you want to be alone, I'll always be here."

In response, Hazel merely snuggled closer to Sawyer, her eyes still fixed on the window. After a while, she tilted her head and trained her gaze onto Sawyer. "I guess I can say the exact same to you; I'll always be here for you, rain or shine, good or bad, better or worse. The only time I won't be here for you is the time you don't need me anymore-the time when you want to be alone."

Sawyer gently massaged Hazel's hand with his thumb. "I thought you were going to say something else . . . but anyway, let's just say that it's going to take a lot to get rid of each other. I want you by my side forever, Hazel, and if that means I have to make a few-or a lot-of sacrifices along the way, I will. I will stop at nothing to keep you by my side."

Hazel smiled gently, using her other hand to run a finger down Sawyer's cheek. "And I'll always be by your side, Sawyer, because I don't want to let you go, either. I'll be by your side, forever and always."

The comfortable silence that ensued was almost tangible, but unfortunately, it was broken by the crackle of the overhead speakers.

"Good afternoon, passengers, this is your captain speaking . . . "

Hazel's eyes widened as the captain began his usual spiel about the flight and requirements that had to be met by the passengers. Her grip on Sawyer's hand tightened when the plane jerked into motion, her breathing becoming faster and faster as it taxied out of the terminal. She could feel the jolts as the wheels went over rough parts on the tarmac, and could hear the gentle hum of the engines as they trundled towards the runway in preparation of departure, and ultimately, Hazel's first flight.

"I­-I'm scared . . . I mean, what if something goes wrong during our flight? What if we-?"

Sawyer leaned over and gently kissed her forehead, pulling away to look into her eyes. He noticed that her pupils were dilated and that her breathing had become shallower as time went on. It seemed as though she was, or on the verge of, hyperventilating.

"It's okay, Hazel," he said gently, tightening his grip on her clammy hand. "There are safety measures the plane puts in place to ensure maximum security for all passengers and crew on board. See, look, the flight attendants are doing a demonstration right now."

And so they were. Hazel watched, fascinated, as the cabin crew pulled on life jackets and pretended to inflate them, before showing them how to put on an oxygen mask and various other safety measures, all the while staying in perfect sync with each other.

"Okay now?" Sawyer asked as the cabin crew made their way back to their positions in preparation of take-off. By now, the plane had taxied to the runway and was waiting for the go ahead from the control tower.

Hazel nodded. "I think so."

Sawyer smiled, giving Hazel's hand a quick, gentle squeeze. "You'll be fine. I know that flying for the first time can be really daunting; I went through that stage, too, but you'll get used to it after a while."

Hazel simply nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

"Passengers," the speaker crackled back to life, "we have been given the all clear. Cabin crew, please prepare for take-off."

Hazel gripped Sawyer's hand so tight it was starting to lose circulation.

"Hazel," Sawyer said, prying her hand off his own, "it's okay. I'm right here for you, and if you would like to hold my hand, feel free to . . . please, just try not to suffocate it." His eyes were alight with laughter and his lips were tilted upwards in a small smile.

"Sorry," said Hazel, gently rubbing Sawyer's hand to improve the circulation she had squeezed out of it. "I'm just-oh!"

There was a sudden shudder as the plane jolted forwards and everyone was pressed into the backs of their seats. The gentle hum of the engines had now transformed into a ferocious roar as they hurtled down the runway.

"If we die-I love you, Sawyer," Hazel said shakily as they continued down the runway.

"Very optimistic of you," Sawyer chuckled, amused by Hazel's fright. "But I love you too, Hazel. I love you more than you could ever imagine."

"And I-ah!"

The plane suddenly lifted off the ground, and Hazel felt her ears popping from the air pressure. From beside her, she could see Sawyer grinning at her.

"Look out of the window," said Sawyer, grinning. "The view . . . it's something you don't want to miss."

And it wasn't. The popping sensation in her ears vanished and the panic that had swept over her body evaporated as Hazel glanced out of the window. Sawyer had been right-it was definitely something that she didn't want to miss.

The airport was shrinking in size as they climbed higher and higher, and the cars and trucks on the roads below were tiny pinpricks, dotting the surface of the earth. Houses were no bigger than her thumbnail. Not long after, Hazel glimpsed one final view of the city they had left behind before the plane shot through the clouds, climbing to incredible heights.

"I'm flying," Hazel breathed, exhilarated. "I'm actually on a plane-flying!"

"Indeed," said Sawyer, smiling gently, "and how do you like the sensation of flying?"

"I love it," Hazel said, relaxing as the plane leveled out, "but not as much as I love you."