Chapter [26]

C h a p t e r   T w e n t y   S i x

WHEN CONCRETE CRUMBLES TO SHARDS; wooden planks to splinters; and bricks to dust, there isn't any hope of putting any of it back together . . . especially not in two days.

No matter how hard the employees and clean-up crew worked, and no matter how long they worked, Clearwater Marine Aquarium would never be the same again, even if they managed to rebuild it. There would always be something different—a more foreboding atmosphere, perhaps, with employees set on edge about whether destruction of this scale would ever happen again.

With the arrival of George Hughes from the USDA for a damage inspection, the atmosphere could not have been any tenser. It was so tense, in fact, that it was tangible—one could feel it gently stroking the ends of their nerves, setting them on edge.

And the increasing edginess and tension was showing through the snappy, terse remarks and conversations that people were having. There were no smiles anymore—only scowls, frowns, and blank faces; no laughter—only snarky remarks, scoffs, and frustrated sighs.

All the happiness had been sucked out of the air in the aftermath of the storm, and who knew when it would be back—if at all.

With Nicholas under constant surveillance until his test results arrived back from the lab, the CMA was stretched to its maximum. Phoebe, Kat, Dr. Clay, and Hazel all took turns watching him while the rest of the staff members and volunteers focused on the clean-up process and tended to the needs of their other resident animals.

Sawyer, upon seeing the negative effect he was having on Hazel, had reluctantly agreed with Dr. Clay that it would be best to not show up at Clearwater Marine Aquarium; instead, he was holed up at home, doing anything he could to take his mind off recent events. He really wanted to help out—he really did—but when Dr. Clay had informed him of the negative impact his presence was having on her, he had grudgingly agreed that it was for the best; he knew that Hazel wouldn't be able to concentrate with him around.

* * *

"Hey, Clay, we got all the test results back."

Dr. Clay whipped around and saw Phoebe holding a bundle of manila files. It was only then that he noticed that she had dark circles around her eyes, and wrinkles that seemed to be permanently etched into her forehead.

"Here," he said, walking over quickly and taking the files out of her arms, "go home and get some rest. I'll take care of these."

Phoebe rubbed her temples, shaking her head. "No, it's fine. Besides, you need all hands on deck, especially with all the cleaning left to do before George arrives and with Sawyer gone. And with Hazel in her current state of mind . . . You need me, Clay. And besides, how are you going to get to my house?"

"I do need you, Phoebe, but not right now. You've done way more than you have to, and it's not right to let you keep working in this state. And I know where you live now, I know the way to your house, so I can drive myself over."

"But—"

"No," Dr. Clay said firmly. "Go home and get some rest, Phoebe. You need it."

"He's right, you know."

Phoebe sighed and turned slowly to face Kyle. Shaking her head, she pursed her lips into a thin line, more lines joining those already embedded on her forehead. "No, not you too. You both know that you need me here. If I go home you know I won't be able to get any sleep at all; my mind will always be here, as will my heart."

"Where do you live, Phoebe?" Kyle asked, placing both of his hands gently on her shoulders.

Phoebe frowned, looking up at him. "Why do you want to know, Kyle . . . ?"