002.

Paulina's POV

A month has passed since Marco and I went on that disaster date of ours. I pondered every aspect of that evening and kept thinking that he was the one who was wrong. I was at the hospital and I just finished checking one of my little patients. I love my work, it makes me realize how valuable life is and how we need to be humble and generous with others.

I was exiting the consultory area and saw a guy that looked familiar to me. He saw me and started walking towards me, he was wearing a black suit.

"Dr. Vega? I am Lars Holden, Public Relations Representative of the BVB club, do you remember me?" He asked fixing his tie.

"Oh yes, of course Mr. Holden. How can I help you?" I said nodding at him.

He came last month with the Dortmund's players, the first time I met Marco.

"Ja, you see, we are organizing a ball, well it's more a charity ball to recollect money for various organizations and we need some of the faces of those organizations to come and representing them." He said a bit nervous.

"And since you are one of the faces here among other doctors, we wanted you to come, or at least that's what we expect." He said handing me an envelope.

"This is the formal invitation. I already have delivered to your fellow doctors but I couldn't find you. I was in my way out actually." He said smiling.

"I see. Danke Mr. Holden." I said grabbing the envelope.

"You're welcome Miss. we'll see you there?" He asked

"Ja. We'll see." I said and smiled at him.

"Good then. Have a lovely evening. It was very nice seeing you Dr." He said and turned around and went thru the elevator.

***

I was back in my house after a long day at work, I pour a glass of wine and decided to open the envelope. It was very fancy, it had my name scripted in golden ink.

So this was happening, I was going to meet him again. Oh god no.

***

It was the day of the ball, I was going with my colleague, Dr. Zetzmann as my date because well, here in Germany when you are invited to balls you have to go with dates, they have given me 2 passes so as Matthias, but we used his passes and I gave mine to Flora our X-ray technician which was part of our team as well. I took a shower and decided to wear a long sleeveless red dress, black high heels, applied minimal make up and let my hair straight.

We arrived. The ball was to take place in a hotel, a very fancy hotel. We entered and a nice lady guided us to the "Great hall" in which place it was to perform the ball. I saw a few of my colleagues from my hospital and other. We all know each other because most of us studied together and are contemporary in age. 
We find our table and grabbed seats. The activity started, the president of the club, Mr. Rauball said a few opening remarks and explained a bit about how the club started working with charities and all. 
Then a nice band performed and then they started the "Auction dance". A little brunette lady started reading the rules of the activity. She was going to say the name of the girl or boy and people had to offer an amount of money to have a dance with him/she and that money was going to the organization they represented. She had the list of names and started reading.

"So here are the nominates: Lucile Klopp, Theresa Merchant, André Fritzl, Charles Montblanc, Lorah Eisseng, Paulina Vega, Marc Azzenberg....."

She named me, I am one of the nominates. Well, the good thing was that It'll be only one dance and the money would go to my organisation. We stood up and went to the stage. The auction started.

"We have here Miss. Eisseng, she likes...?" She said asking to her.

"Going to the beach, hanging out with my friends and snowboarding." The girl answered.

"Well there you have, such nice things, do I hear 10.000 euros? Do I hear?

The people began offering different amounts until her dance was sold for 75.000 euros to a nice man named Francis. NICE!

"Next is Dr. Vega, please." She sais pointing me the space next to her and I walked.

"So, Dr. Vega which is your speciality?" She asked putting the microphone near to my lips.

"Good evening. I am a Pediatric oncologist." I said smiling to the audience.

But I couldn't see anything because of the strong light that was hitting my face.

"Such a brave profession. What do you like?" She asked.

"I like looking at the stars at night, spent time with my family, travel, food and my kids for sure." I said smiling.

Everyone applauded and the presenter continued.

"Nice, very nice. So how much do I hear? Do we start with 10.000 euros? Do I hear more?"

"20.000" a guy said.

"Good, good, 20.000! Do I hear 30.000? Do I hear 30.000?" She continued.

"30.000" another man that I couldn't see....