two

Following Evan into the woods was probably one of the top ten things I've done that has gotten my adrenaline pumping.

He grabs my hand and pulls me through the trees, running and ignoring the loose branches that scratch our arms and legs.

When we finally come to a stop, both our hearts were pounding, and we were breathing heavily.

"Won't your spot from the throne drop from this?" I wheeze in between breaths.

He chuckles, straightening up. Athletic jerk. "I know things you don't."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, still trying to catch my breath. He laughs a little louder. "Just because you're higher up in line doesn't make you better than me."

"Technically it does," he remarks, "but maybe I'm wrong."

"What do you mean?" I ask again.

"I can't tell you." He says. I drop the subject despite my upmost curiosity. What was he talking about when he said he knew things I didn't? Surely something related to the throne.

"I know that look. You're trying to figure it out," he says. I cross my arms over my chest, admitting defeat. "You're not gonna find out."

"Then tell me."

"I met you a few minutes ago. I'm not risking anything," he tells me, and pauses, "for all I know you could be lying and be the next in line for the throne."

"Sorry, what I said was true; I am fifteenth in line. But my sister is third," I say, beginning to travel through the woods. I feel twigs and branches getting caught on the fabric of my dress but I didn't care. It was an excuse to never wear it again.

"What's her name?" Evan asks, finally expressing some interest. And here it comes, I think, little miss perfect and her sister living in her shadow.

"Melody." I tell him, sighing. "She's perfect."

"Doesn't sound perfect if you hate her," he responds. I glance at him with interest. Most people ask more of my sister, but he wants to know more of me.

"I've always lived in her shadow. Her and I used to be the same but now all she cares about is the throne."

"She sounds stuck up," he chuckles. "But who am I to say? I haven't met her."

"She always talks about you though," I tell him, and he lifts his eyebrows. "Or at least the person next in-line to the throne. She'd do anything for that crown."

"What about you?"

"What about me?" I ask.

"What do you you like? What would you do for the throne or with the title?" He asks, sitting down on a fallen tree. I sit down next to him, now a good half mile into the woods.

I think for a moment. "I want equality for all factions. My friends deserve to be treated like we do."

"I don't think I've ever heard someone in-line for the throne say that," he remarks. He glances up as a twig snaps and turns back to me. "I think we should start heading back."

"We just got here!" I moan, rolling my head back to lean up against a tree. He chuckled and moves from his position before gesturing that I take his hand.

"Why did you invite me out here tonight?" I ask once we've walked for a while. I could already see the lights of the castle glimmering above the canopy of trees surrounding us.

"I could use a break. Plus I was curious about you. After all, you did say that you associated with the Rebellion," he tells me, shrugging his shoulders.