six

Due to what someone thankfully commented on the first chapter, I've decided to change the main character's name to Dawn, because the story seemed too similar to 'the selection' (which I've never read which is why I didn't catch it sooner), so if you see any mistakes, please correct me! Thanks :)

I was quickly thrust back into a HoverTruck, and my family followed quickly behind. Two guard sat on either side of me, and Melody, mother, and Desmond say adjacent to me.

Melody was furious, but I couldn't help the fact they chose me to be Queen. And especially since I've lived in her shadow all her life, couldn't she at least understand it's not my fault?

Mother and Melody quickly reassumed conversation, and I blocked them out until I heard my name come up.

"What?" I ask, immediately assuming the worst.

"My Kingdom History instructor kept asking me questions about you, and so did the everyone else, so mom was wondering if that was why," Mel informs me.

"I can't believe you did that to your sister! She was fighting so hard for that crown, and you take it from her!" Mother exclaims, pointing a finger at me. Usually, I would become overwhelmed with anger, but in this case, I felt the hot, unwelcome tears building up behind my eyes, and then streaking down my face.

I quickly wipe at them, but they don't go unnoticed. I haven't cried since dad died, and the car went so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

"I'm sorry, Dawn," my mother whispers.

"As if." I scoff, turning towards the window, but my view was quickly blocked by a guard. He looks down at me with disdain, turning to face the other guard and telling him something beyond my comprehension.

"This has been a hard day for Dawn, maybe we should just take it easy on her," Desmond remarks.

My mother is quick with a snarky comeback, and they begin fighting. I lower my head to look at the floor, studying the shoes surrounding me to pass time, but mainly to block everyone out.

Everyone in the car was wearing dressy shoes; mother was wearing heels, very pointed and business-like, Melody wearing kitten heels that shined under the moonlight, and all the men were wearing loafers.

Meanwhile, my shoes stood out against the other shining shoes; they were hiking boots, caked with mud from my hike. I was so different from them in more ways than one.

"We have arrived." A guard announced, as someone opened the door, snapping me out of my reverie.

The Queen and King were waiting for us when my family stepped out,  looking very cross, as if we were a group of teenagers that came home an hour after curfew.

"Dawn, we must speak to your parents for a moment, one of the guards will show you to your room." The Queen announces, turning around, and looking at the guards sitting by the gate.

One of them was yawning and leaning lazily against the post, stress lines marking his face. The other looked relaxed, reading a story by the author of the name of "Charles Dickens."

"Liam!" The queen yells to which Liam snaps the book shut, smiling at the Queen and bowing. Immediately, I glance at my bag, which had been placed by feet, wondering if it could possibly be the same Liam. "Take Dawn to her room; I am assigning you to be her guard."

Liam set his book down and walks towards me, back straight, leaning down to pick up my bag, and with his other arm, takes my arm.

We walk away and he guides me up the path leading to the castle.