twenty four

"Ralph, you promised." Liam growls, bringing his hands up in a surrender. 

Even Calliat looked scared, slowly backing away from the burly man as he waved the loaded gun dangerously around the room. 

"I didn't expect you to win. Deals off. It's fair game now," Ralph responds, aiming the gun at Liam's heart. I protectively step in front of Liam at the same time Calliat lays a hand on Ralph.

"It was fair. Let them go," Calliat says quietly, to which Ralph, the psychotic person that he was, had turned the gun on her, the nozzle square up against her collarbone.

"Nothing's fair anymore, Calliat," he announces menacingly. Calliat backs away once more, fear clear in her large doe eyes. Bird pulls a makeshift dagger out of the back of her boot, aiming it towards Ralph.

"Let us go or I throw this between your eyes." Bird states. Calliat makes a run for it, rushing out of the room and into the open, the back of her robe gusting in the wind, and showing us an unflattering angle of her bottom.

We all stand in a fighting stance, ready to run or fight at a moment's notice. Ralph glares at bird, switching the gun between her, Liam and I. 

"I'll let you go. But don't think this is over. The kingdom will fall, mark my words, Dawn. Arm your troops. Take whatever measure necessary but you won't be ready. I'll be coming," Ralph tells us, lowering the revolver and backing away. "I'll get you a ride just outside of the 50 mile mark, but that's it. You find your own way back from there."

He saunters out of the room, shouting angrily at more guards to get a ride for us and to cover up the dead bodies. I shivered at the room around us; the measures taken to protect the kingdom.

"Am I free?" Bird asks quietly, looking between Liam and I in shock. She was free of guards and free of the shackles I could only guess were chained to her body in the time she was here.

"Yes. You can stay at the castle until we get you back to normal," I tell her, stepping forward to shake her hand, or do something to show her I was worth her trust. At first she backs away, but then takes my hand and smiles at me.

"Who were the other men with you?" Liam asks, staring at the dead bodies yet to be covered up.

"Max and Ross. Ross was close to death anyways, he was so starved, I think it would've been too late for him even if he were to live. And Max," she paused to scowl, "he was a traitor to the kingdom. He deserved to die anyways, but not like that."

"You!" Someone shouts at our group. We turn to see another large guard at the doorway, scowling and angry just like seemingly everyone else here. "Your ride is here."

We walk out of the crumbling building and into the open where a small crowd had gathered. People who were dirty, people who looked angry, people who looked sad, people in between. All looking at us in shock; especially me, the Queen.  

"Liam!" Someone shouts, and Liam's mom comes running forward, throwing her tiny arms around Liam's neck. The guard reaches for his gun, ready to expect anything from the group of people gathered.

"Mom. Come back with us, please," Liam begs. She smiles up at him, taking his hands, but a look of sadness stays in her eyes. Then I remembered; Liam's sister. Where was she?

"I'm afraid your sister has fallen ill. I can't leave her, even though I would leave with you if she was better," she tells him. Liam visibly breaks down in front of her, and I could see the pain in his eyes.

"You guys need to leave. Now." The guard tells us, standing impatiently by the truck. Liam looks between him and his mom, before stepping away, hurt and sad.