seventeen

My schedule had changed drastically since our move to the hide-out.

The morning after Evan's confession, I was allowed a thirty-minute breakfast before I went to history with one of the teachers.

One of the maids that was allowed to tag along dressed me in black leggings and a sweater my father had given me when he was still alive. I remember her saying, "Today is the day you deserve to be reminded of home," before sending me off into the kitchen.

The King sat calmly at the table, his breath a low wheeze, but there was a certain glimmer to his eyes that wasn't there the night before.

But it didn't conceal the fact how sick he was; each day there seemed to be a new problem with the skin physique.

Today it was his skin; it was gauzy and pale, and it stretched taught over his skin. His facial structure seemed hollow, as it was just skin and bone by now. His blonde hair was streaked grey and he seemed tired as usual, but today he announced:

"I think I'm going to go for a walk. Would you like to come along, Dawn?"

I felt the urge to shake my head, but instead politely gave him a small smile. "I would love to, sir, but I have history in" -I checked the clock- "twenty minutes."

"Not a problem. You shall be excused and I'll teach you a bit of history on our walk." He winks mischievously at me and I let out a small laugh. He calls a guard over to inform them, and requests his wheelchair.

Not wanting to be impolite, I stand and start to wheel him out the back once he's settled. He smiles up at me as I navigate his chair around the many stairs surrounding our lodge.

"Where would you like to go?" I questioned once we had reached a more gravel-like path and the trees leaned menacingly above us. He glanced around before lifting a shaky finger at a path I hadn't noticed before, as it was concealed by shrubs and trees.

I wheeled him down the curved path, the soil soft compared the gravel moments before. I watch as the King glances happily around, staring up at the canopy above us, nodding his head with each bird song.

"You know this is where I took the Queen on our first official date? She loved this place almost as much as you. She discovered this path one night, and we spent the night in this beautiful meadow about half a mile away from the safe house," he commented happily. He coughed, and his eyes watered up, but I don't think that was from the sickness.

"How far should I go out, sir?" I asked, letting him recall his memories. Who was I to interrupt? Any of his thoughts could be his last.

We were quiet for a few seconds, letting the chirp of the birds and the crunch of the branches beneath us do the talking.

"I want to go the meadow. There should be a force-field surrounding the house extending maybe a mile out," he tells me. I nod, continuing to wheel him around the path. He began to hum quietly, even though his chest was falling too quickly for comfort. "I want to stand."

"Sir-"

"-I want to stand, Dawn." He demands. I sigh once more, bringing myself around front and pulling his legs from the chair and then his hands. He shakily rises to his feet and I wrap my arms around his waist before taking his arm.

"You okay?" I ask. He inhales deeply, smiling happily.

"It feels so strange feeling my legs again. I used to go on runs everyday, and here I am not walking for days," he remarks, staring at his slipper-clad feet. I begin to lead him down the trail, staring at his chest so I'll know when enough is enough.