Chapter 5

Dana was amazed at how fast things moved after that. The next day Quinn's mother and sister showed up, bringing new energy to the house. Lizzy was an energetic and beautiful blond that was not afraid to speak her mind and her mother, Elizabeth, was a beautiful, graceful woman with such a welcoming spirit that Dana was drawn to her immediately.

There was always something going, and by the time Thursday rolled around she was more than ready to escape to Quinn's office and help him out. He had not asked her to do so again, but she had understood that she was expected to work for her keep and that was just what she planned to do.

She hadn't seen Quinn the day before; he had gone into Austin to pick up supplies and run some errands and had not returned until after dinner, and Dana was surprised at the fact that she had missed seeing him. That was a new feeling for her. She had never missed anyone before.

She was sitting behind the counter ready to work when Quinn walked into the office.

He paused and looked at her but he didn't say a word, and she was unable to read his expression. It seemed, when he had a mind too, he could be just as emotionless as his brother.

"You said I could help, and I would like too," Dana said softly, looking down at her hands.

"Sure, Dana. I would appreciate it. I was expecting Bryce to have things for you to deal with today."

Dana shook her head. "He said something about New York."

Quinn nodded as if he understood what that meant. Dana wished he would explain it to her because she had no clue, but she had been taught not to ask questions, so she stayed silent.

Quinn walked over to stand next to her, leaning over her to open the appointment book, and she closed her eyes as she inhaled the clean, warm scent of him. It was comforting and something else she couldn't place.

"Are you all right?" Quinn was looking down at her.

"Ummm ... yes." She blushed

He put his hand on the back of her chair as he leaned forward again. "I should really get all of this in a program on the computer, but I really haven't had time," he said offhandedly.

"Now," he looked at his watch, "the first appointment should be here soon. The animal's charts are alphabetical by last name here." He pointed to a drawer. "Just pull the file before I see them. I will write the cost on a receipt for them to bring to you so that they can pay. Most times they'll write a check some will charge it and when they do that..."

Dana spent the next thirty minutes taking in all that he told her. It didn't seem that hard, and she thought she might even be able to get it all in a computer program for him. She did know computers. Trapped in a house she had to find something to entertain herself and computer games had been her entertainment.

The day sped by, and Dana had fun. She got to visit with all of the animals and their owners, and she felt like Quinn had appreciated her help.

They stopped for lunch which was delivered by Bertie, along with the news that another Stevens had arrived and they were all creating way too much work for her to handle. She left mumbling to herself about too many people in one family.

"Don't let her fool you; she loves it when the family all comes for a visit. She is especially fond of Mason."

Dana played with her food, not hungry.

"Why are they here Quinn? Is it me?" If Dana was honest, she felt a bit like an exhibit in a zoo. Look at the young lady who is on the run from her big mean husband.

Quinn sighed dropping his sandwich. "They do tend to go a bit overboard when there is a cause that is worth fighting. All they have been told is that Bryce and I have a friend who needs some female company, but they sense there is more to it."