Chapter 13

Dana must have fallen asleep because the next thing she felt was a gentle hand on her arm.

"Quinn?" She sat up brushing the hair that had loosened out of her face. She didn't know how she knew it was him, but she did.

"Yes Dana, it's Bryce and me."

She had known he would come back. "How did you get in here? Come to think of it how did my father get in?" she looked at the clock to see that not very much time had passed.

"It seems your father told a sad tale about a long-lost daughter to one of the maids and she fell for it." Leave it to Bryce to know all of the answers.

"I got in using the key card that I swiped while you and your father were distracted." Quinn reached over and turned on the main light to the room.

When the light illuminated her face, she saw the horror on his.

She reached up to touch her face and winced at the tenderness. "Is it bad?" She jerked the covers off as she jumped out of bed to get to the mirror.

It was a pretty hefty shiner that ran from her eye to her lip. "He always did know just how to land a strike." Then she couldn't help but smile this time she had gotten it defending herself.

"Why on earth are you grinning Dana?" Quinn sat heavily on the bed, the guilt easy to read on his face.

She went and sat next to him. "Look at me Quinn, you see this?" she traced her cheek. "This is a badge of courage."

His eyes met hers with a haunted look.

"Quinn, I stood up to him, but not only did I do that I realized I'm not like my mother; I chose to run, which in its own way is choosing to fight. My mother didn't, she gave up, and it killed her."

Dana turned from Quinn and looked at Bryce. "Can you find out how she died?"

"Are you sure you want to know?"

Dana thought about it. "Yes, I do."

"The official report said overdose." Bryce already had the answer it seemed.

Her surprise must have shown. "I didn't know that you were not aware of how she died. I like to know as much as possible about every legal battle I fight."

Dana nodded he was nothing if not thorough. "My father pretty much confirmed how she died tonight."

"How did this happen." Quinn traced her cheek, and Dana closed her eyes at the touch, savoring it.

"I told him I would sleep with as many damn men as I wanted and there was nothing he could do about it."

She heard Quinn make an almost guttural sound in the back of his throat and she swore she saw Bryce smile.

"How did you get him to leave?" Quinn asked quickly changing the subject.

"I pulled a page from Bryce's book and told him it was his choice, he could leave, or I would call security and file charges while making a scene." She scooted a little closer to Quinn liking his warmth.

"And he just left?" Bryce sounded unsure.

"Oh no, he said something dramatic like 'this isn't finished,' and then I said something equally dramatic like 'for me it is.'" Dana smiled again quite pleased with the way it had ended.

"I don't think you need me anymore." Bryce moved towards the door. "I'll see you both at breakfast," he said, repeating Mason's comment. Again Dana swore she saw his lip twitch.

After he had left, the room filled with a tense silence.

"So did you really wear this amazing dress for me?"