Chapter 21 (The End)

That afternoon Phoenix insisted that they go down to the stables to watch Caleb and Quinn work with the horses.

"I have never been on a working ranch, and I want to see those two at work."

It was a short walk, and when they got there, it was hard to see what was going on with all of the dust that was flying around. Bryce, Rainer, and Mason had joined the other two, and the five of them were filthy, sweaty, and rugged looking. If she was going to paint a picture of the American cowboy at work she could not have picked a better scene than the Stevens men working together to tame two fillies.

"It's like the genetic lottery. This family hit the jackpot."

Dana could only nod at Phoenix's comment as she watched the men, with their cowboy hats, pulled low and their muscles flexing as they were pushed to the max.

Bryce broke away from the others and approached the fence. "Did you get a chance to read that letter I gave you?"

Dana shook her head and looked up, her eyes meeting India's. She was watching her like a hawk.

"It seems you are not doing your job keeping me away from Bryce," Dana said absentmindedly.

Bryce and Phoenix looked over at India. When Bryce turned back to look at her, he was frowning. "Read the letter Dana," he said before he moved back into the action.

Dana reached into her back pocket and pulled out the envelope. She didn't recognize the writing. She was hesitant to open it if it came from Bryce because that meant that it came from New York, and she wanted nothing to do with anyone in New York.

She very slowly opened it and looked at the signature first. It was from Dr. Eves. Her hands started to shake as she read. He had wanted to tell her for a while but didn't know how. After discussing it with Bryce, he knew he had to do something. He had lied when he told her she couldn't have children. He had made up the need for her to be on birth control for health reasons. He knew what would happen if she ever had children with Marcus, and he had hoped that by lying Marcus would let her go. He was sorry that he hadn't been honest with her, but he knew she had to believe it or else he was afraid she would cave and tell Marcus the truth when he used it against her during his many verbal assaults. He went on to say that she was one of the bravest women he had ever known and that he had done everything he could to protect her.

Dana re-read the letter a second time, and her hands had gone beyond trembling to shaking. She looked up and met Quinn's gaze as he had taken a break and stepped away from the action.

"Quinn." She mouthed, sinking to her knees. One of the harshest truths she had had to face during her marriage besides being married to a monster was that she would never be able to have children.

But now she could have children, Quinn's children.

As soon as she dropped, Quinn was across the pen clearing the fence in a moment and at her side.

"Dana, what is it?"

She handed him the letter. "I can have children. You can keep me now." She wasn't even aware she had said it. Quinn shoved the letter into his shirt as he reached for her. All of the other Stevens brothers had stopped what they were doing and dispersed; a few had joined Quinn.

"Dana?" Quinn asked lifting her chin.

She was in a little bit of shock and reached up to run her fingers down his face. She had missed him so much. Suddenly, a truck pulled up, and Quinn lifted her up and put her in the back seat. Without a word said Lizzy and Cassie drove her back to the house and helped up to her room.