Chapter 15

Dana's week was a peaceful one.  She had the house to herself, and she was able to start a garden in the backyard.  That was something that she had wanted to do for years. There had been a kitchen garden in the house she had been raised, and much to her grandmother's dismay, Dana was always helping the cook with her herbs and vegetables. Watching things grow made her happy, and so did getting her hands in the dirt and not caring about her manicure or clothes.

Dana had been volunteering as a floating administrative assistant for the school. There were a couple of students that were paid to help out, but Dana felt terrible about taking a job away from someone who needed it when she didn't. She was scheduled to be in the English department the following week, which she dreaded.  She wondered how often her English was going to be corrected. Laughing at herself, she was pleased.  Her worries were so very different then what they were eighteen months earlier. Brushing off her blue jeans, she heard a car in the drive and walked around to the front of the house.

Phoenix had returned, and he seemed pleased.

"I take it the trip went well?" she said after he finished swinging her around in a bear hug.

"It did, and no one cared a thing about my love life, even though I did mention my new friend Dee. It seems my sister has a new friend too, and my parents are much more interested in her catch than in mine."

"See you had nothing to worry about." She led the way into the house.

"Not for now anyway.  I don't think he's into her like she's into him, but..." He shrugged as he moved to the fridge to get a drink.

"What are we doing for dinner?" he asked, going right back into the routine.

"I thought we could go out on the town."

"Yes!" He started dancing her around. "Let's go to Roy's."

Roy's was the local honky-tonk. There was bound to be a live band playing country music, a dance floor full of college kids, and cold beer. The food was always optional.

"Roy's it is, shall we get all gussied up for the occasion?"

"For sure." He twirled her one more time then danced down the hall to his room.

Dana wore a new dress that swirled around her ankles when she danced, which she and Phoenix did plenty of while they were there.  It seemed that all of their fact sharing had made their friendship a little stronger, and Phoenix who finally felt like he could be himself; spent the whole night admiring the men that surrounded them. 

"You should see India's, new man." Phoenix gave a low whistle. "He is...words fail me."

"India?"

"That's my sister?"

"I always wondered if your name was really Phoenix."

"Yep, Mom named us after the places where we were conceived."

"I had heard people sometimes did that, but until now I never knew anyone who did."

"To Mom, thanks for the great name!"

"To Mom!" Dana raised her glass with him.

"So, what's on your schedule this week?" Phoenix asked while admiring some of the dancers on the floor.

"English department."

"Yuck," Phoenix agreed with her earlier sentiment.

"At least they can't fire me."

"Here's to not being fired." They both toasted again.

A very dashing cowboy came over and asked her to dance, and she declined.

"Why didn't you say yes?" Phoenix demanded.

"I'm not interested." Dana shrugged.

"It's just a dance Dee."

"I am not interested in any of it, please don't push the issue."

"Fine, but will you at least dance with me again?"

"Just a few more then we have to leave. I have to be at work early tomorrow."

They took a few more turns around the dance floor before they gathered their stuff and paid the bill.  They were halfway across the parking lot when they were stopped by a man who blocked their path.

"You're too beautiful a woman to be going home with him, why don't you come with me?  I know I can satisfy you better than he can." He was large, and the dark cast him into the shadows.

Dana felt some of the old fear fighting to come to the surface.  As he grew closer, she noticed that the look on his face was one she had seen before, but she had learned to play it calm.  That sometimes won the fight all by itself.

"No thanks," Dana said, moving to step around him.

Phoenix grabbed her arm and pulled her away, just managing to make him fail at his attempt to grab her.

"I think you need to go inside and call a cab," Phoenix suggested, pulling Dana away from the situation.

"No, I think you need to go back inside, and I'll take care of the lady."

Dana spun and looked at him.  She pushed the fear away and let the anger bubble to the surface.  It was apparent he was almost too drunk to stand. If Quinn were here, he would give the pitiful man a glare, and he would back off with no problems.  Phoenix had yet to establish that confidence, and it would be up to Dana to get them out of the situation.

She reached into her purse with steady hands and dialed 911. "Back off," she said as he reached for the phone she just jumped to the side, and that was enough to cause him to fall off balance.

As soon as he was down Phoenix grabbed her hand and started dragging her towards the car. Dana stayed on the line, reporting that there was a man harassing women in the parking lot.  Before they were even out of eyesight of the parking lot the lights of the police car were within view.

"I don't get it." She shook her head.  "What is it about me that inspires violence?"

"That had nothing to do with you Dana, that was a drunk man and you were a convenient woman."

"Well, at least I didn't get hit. I suppose that's something." She shook her head, looking out the window.  The desert was pitch black.

"Was it really that bad?" he asked quietly.

"Yes."

The rest of the drive home was done in silence.