Chapter 8

"She looks like an angel." Dana heard a beautiful female voice. It was husky and warm and made her smile.

"Dana."

She felt a hand on her arm and jerked awake. "Sorry, did I fall asleep?"

"Yes, but it is a lovely afternoon for a nap." A beautiful redhead was sitting next to her.

Dana was confused about who this new person was and why she was talking to her, and it must have shown. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm Cassie Stevens, Mason's wife."

Just then Quinn came up the stairs of the verandah with Bryce and a man that she recognized.

"Quinn, I was just telling Lizzy that Dana looks like an angel." Cassie jumped up and hugged Quinn. But just as quickly as she had said it, she was off on another tangent of conversation.  "Are you surprised to see us? We came down for Thanksgiving."

Quinn hugged her back with a real smile. "Yes, I am pleased to see you, and I just got word that Rainer should be here too."

"Oh good, what about Davis?" Lizzy asked from the other side of the porch.

"I haven't heard, but he's never missed one yet."

Dana hadn't even thought of Thanksgiving.  Generally, she didn't celebrate the holiday, and with the warmth of Texas, it didn't feel like fall. Just then a chair was dragged next to her, and the man that was with Quinn and Bryce plopped down in it. "I'm Mason by the way. I'm married to the redhead."

"So I guessed." Dana looked at him for the first time.  He was not as handsome as Quinn or Bryce, but he was charming and had a way that made you think he was the best looking one in the room.

"So, I hear that both my brothers are fighting over which one of them will be your white knight."

"Mason!" Elizabeth said from the doorway.

"Well its true, isn't it? Dana rode in here a true damsel in distress, and they've both jumped to her rescue." Mason turned back to her with a grin.

It was hard to be offended by the man when he grinned like that, and Dana's lips twitched. Mason wasn't going to watch what he said, and Dana was relieved. It made a nice change.

"I would go for Bryce if I were you, he's an Earl.  That would make you a lady." He whispered the last as if it were a secret.

"I already thought I was a lady, and besides, I was married to a rich man, and it didn't work out so well."

"Oh they're both rich, we all are." Mason grinned.

"Mason!" several Stevens yelled this time.

"Well it's not a secret!" he yelled back, winking at Dana who busted out laughing.

"Now Dana, I hear that awful toad of a husband of yours is on his way, and I just want to let you know that I brought my gun." He patted her arm.

Dana heard several groans from the others, and her eyes scanned the group resting on Quinn. He was not reacting just watching. "Now why on earth would you need a gun when you have that smart mouth?" Dana quipped her eyes never leaving Quinn. 

She swore she saw his lips twitch.

"Oh I like her," Cassie said jumping up from her seat and landing in Mason's lap.

Cassie must have caught her glance towards Quinn. "Let me tell you about the first time I met Quinn. I thought he was a Viking."

"Quinn, a Viking?" Lizzy snorted.