Chapter 16

"Come on Dana, I see Leigh, and she saved us some seats." Phoenix grabbed Dana's hand and pulled her up the stairs of the stadium seating.

Leigh waved to them as they approached "Hurry you two, it is almost Billy's turn."

Leigh Packard was a friend that Phoenix had made at his new job tending bar. Since graduation was coming up for him, Phoenix had felt that he needed to find a job to keep him busy. He had no interest in leaving town after graduation, so the best he could do in the limited job market was bartending.

The job had come with a new instant friend, who just happened to be looking for a place to stay and had ended up moving into the third bedroom in their home.

"I can't believe you two have never been to a Rodeo before," Leigh said, her eyes scanning the cowboys milling about below her.

"Come on Leigh; you're talking to two New Yorkers here," Phoenix said in his best New York accent while rolling his eyes. "I just hope to meet one of the fine specimens in person later today." Phoenix's eyes, like Leigh's, were busily scanning the crowd. Phoenix had tried a new route with Leigh and had been honest with her from the start about his sexuality.

"Phoenix you meet plenty of cowboy's at the bar." Leigh reminded him, sitting up straighter.

Dana didn't have the heart to tell Leigh that most of the cowboys who came into the bar were not really cowboys. That was not something that one could pretend to be. Once you spent time with the real deal, you could easily spot a fake, and she had learned to avoid all of the real cowboys, rare as they were because they all reminded her too much of Quinn.

She had been seeing the drummer of a local band that performed at the bar regularly, but she had taken a page out of Lizzy's book and wouldn't let it get too serious.

"There he is." Leigh pointed towards the gates where they were loading up the next rider and his horse.

The sport was team roping, and Leigh had assured them that they would enjoy themselves, if for no other reason than there would be plenty of eye candy.

The three of them watched avidly as Leigh's boyfriend and his partner sat astride their horses, their heads bent, waiting for the gate to open, and the calf that they were going to rope was released. When it finally happened, it was over in a matter of seconds, and they both turned to Leigh with questioning looks in their eyes.

"Just wait, now we watch and see if any of the others beat their time."

Phoenix and Dana smiled at each other, but they turned back towards the action to see the next competitors taking their places.

Dana stilled she recognized the men in the chute.

"Ohhh these are the guys to beat. One of them is a past national champion if they can't beat Billy's time no one will," Leigh said with the utmost confidence.

Dana held her breath as the announcer came over the speaker

"Next are two brothers from Austin, Texas, Caleb and Quinn Stevens. Quinn Stevens holds a former national title. These are the guys to beat," The announcer agreed with Leigh's statement.

Dana watched fascinated, her eyes glued to Quinn.

She was too distracted to notice that Phoenix had also tensed next to her.

Quinn looked magnificent. He was wearing tight blue jeans with a matching blue shirt. His white hat was pulled low, and his muscles flexed as he controlled his horse in its chute. He had a number pinned to the back of his shirt, and his horse was a tall red quarter horse whose muscles were flexing with Quinn's.