Chapter 19

The following Monday Dana was helping out in the Agricultural department when one of the teaching aids came flying in all flushed with excitement. "Oh my gosh he is sooooo sexy!" she squealed.

"Who are you talking about?" the department secretary asked, apparently not understanding the girl any better than Dana did.

"Dr. Andrew's friend." The young female student fell into the chair behind Dana.

"Oh, you mean the visiting lecturer." She nodded catching on and going back to her work.

"Is that why he's here? I'll have to go to a few lectures then."

Another female student came rushing in just as giddy. "You saw him didn't you?" the first girl asked.

The young girl nodded biting her bottom lip. "Is he for real?"

"I don't want to know if he isn't." She sighed.

Dana completely amused, but already late for a class, passed her completed work over to the secretary and left without a word. She looked up and down the hall for the man they were all talking about but there was no one, in her opinion, which fit the soooo sexy bill. It was a shame, maybe seeing a handsome man and realizing he was handsome would prove something. Although she had no clue what that might be.

When she got home that evening, it was to find Phoenix pacing in the living room.

"Well, you look serious." Dana put her stuff down and moved into the kitchen.

"You're off the hook for dinner tonight."

Dana stopped mid-stride and turned to look at him. "I get the feeling there is a 'but' in there somewhere."

"It seems your friend, Quinn, stuck around along with my sister, and now she wants to meet you."

"Phoenix," Dana groaned and slid into a kitchen chair.

"I know, I tried to make and excuse, but she was having none of it. They want to go to Carlita's for dinner."

"And you said yes?"

"I said I would ask you."

"Fine, you asked me, and I said no. Tell her I have the flu or something." The thought of having to sit across for Quinn and India while they made eyes at each other all night would kill her.

"Please Dee." He was begging.

The only way she could get out of it was to tell Phoenix the truth. That Quinn was the man that didn't want her, and she was not ready to tell him or anyone that fact.

"Can you at least renegotiate the place? I don't want to have to dress up for dinner. I know! Have them come here, I'll cook." She would feel more comfortable if she didn't have to dress up. Dana only had one outfit that would work for Carlita's. The little gold dress.

When she had moved, she took as little as possible vowing not ever to have to dress up for anything again. The only reason she had brought the stupid dress from New York was so that she would remember what a fool she had been, and how she never wanted to go down that road again.

"No, my sister is out to impress Quinn, and I think you. It's a test. I do not doubt that she is to report back to mother on your table manners.

"I have nothing to wear." Dana tried another tactic.

"You have that gold dress in your closet. I saw it when I was helping you put up your winter blankets."

Dana looked down at Ace for inspiration, but he was too busy licking somewhere he shouldn't be to give her any help.