Chapter 29

{Hiccup's P.O.V.}

I twisted the dial on the radio, "Are there any good stations on the radio?"

My dad shrugged, "I don't know Hiccup. I don't really listen to the radio while I'm driving."

I shifted around the bag on my lap, "Did we really hafta bring ALL this food?"

Dad turned a corner and pulled into the driveway of a big brick house, "Dad how did you know exactly where Merida lives?"

"Memorized the directions.", he said like it was the easiest thing on earth. He grabbed the bag out of my lap and got out of the car. I unbuckled myself and hopped out after him.

I saw him walk up the path as someone, who I assumed was Merida's dad, open the door. Two huge greyhounds ran out as soon as he opened the door.

"Are you two the oh-so-evil Crusher and Ripper? Well aren't you all just so mean?"

The dogs barked happily and wagged their tails as I petted them. I saw a flash of red as Merida ran down the path.

"Hiccup! You made it! I didn't know how well your sense of direction was so I thought you might have been late but... here you are!"

She wrapped her arms around my neck in a hug, then quickly let go, "Come on, I'll show you inside."

I took her hand as she lead me inside, "Mum, dad, this is Hiccup."

Merida's dad smiled and took my outstretched hand, "Nice to finally meet ya Hiccup!"

I smiled at him, "Same here sir."

Merida's mom looked me up and down, "Well he isn't exactly "dashing and knightly" like you described Merida."

Merida glared at her mom, "MUM! I never said that!"

Merida's mom laughed as her face softened, "I'm just teasin' ya Hiccup. It's very nice to finally put a face to the name. Come on inside, dinner's almost ready!"

"So 'Iccup, why did ya pick Merida? She's stinky."

Hubert nodded in agreement with his brother, "Yeaaaaaah, and annoying. She didn't even let us read her diary!"

I pointed my fork at Hubert, "Well, the idea of the diary is that it's secret. Usually."

Hamish shrugged, "So?! We're 'er brothers. They are no secrets in family!"

Elinor smiled fondly at her sons, "Alright boys, that's enough, you're scarin' Hiccup and makin' Merida mad."

Merida was gripping her knife, "Oh I'm not mad, ha ha, just annoyed. Very annoyed."

I reached across the table to loosen the grip of Merida and that knife, "Chill, my dear, it's not that serious. They're kidding."

"At least you don't live with them," Merida glared at me, "Dear."

Fergus slapped Merida on the back, "Such sass in this lassie! If you're really that annoyed, you are yore boyfriend can go and run along. Hubert, Hamish, Harris, scram! Leave the adults to talk and the lovebirds to kiss."

Merida slapped her dad's hand away but I saw her blushing anyway, "DAAAAAAAD."

I stood up and saw Merida follow my suit as we left the table.