Chapter Two

The Senator was a very malleable man. Depending on the price was how much he would advocate for your cause. The less desirable the higher the price tag of course, one needed to make sure it was worth his time and reputation that he was putting on the line. But that didn’t stop him from taking bribes from everyone including the importers so he would call off the Mounties when certain questionable shipments were coming across the border, to local officials who were more interested in the cash lining their pockets then supporting their failing school systems. The man had no morals. There was nothing more important to him then money, because money could buy him everything he wanted.

   Including his seat in the House of Commons.

   But tonight was when he would lose what he valued most, because tonight was the night that he made a few sizable contributions to some very deserving charities and foundations, not only anonymously, but unwillingly as well.

   It was the culmination of months of work. Of scouting and tailing, of reckon and information gathering, months of Sera having to cozy up to the man she despised most, her very own Uncle Roger. Or Senator Roger Preston, Conservative, as he was known in Parliament.

   She had never been close to any member of her family, not only because of a youth spent in the states, but because she never approved of their own particular way of earning income. But of all the people she wanted to avoid, it was her Uncle and the retched aura that surrounded him. There are some things though that just can’t be learned from a distance, so for her cause she did what needed to be done. And it worked. By earning his trust she gained access to his both his estate in North Vancouver his country house on Bowen Island. Whether he was there or not she was more than welcome to stay or entertain her friends. A womanizer of the usual sort the man had no children of his own and he took the opportunity- and bait- his niece offered him to look that more of a family man for the media. 

   All that time playing nice meant that Sera was able to get the account numbers needed to make the transfers…at least most of them.

   They came into it knowing it wouldn’t be that easy. Sera knew a man as despicable as her Uncle wouldn’t leave it all out in the open, even what looked to be legitimate business transactions at a quick glance. And what she couldn’t garner herself her friend and co-leader of their vigilante organization- or domestic terrorism group as her Uncle would portray them as- could find with a fairly simple hack into the Senator’s computers.  Though most of his computers were on a government secured network and impossible to break into without raising red flags, the Senator’s personal laptop which he used to conduct his more corrupt transactions was not.

   Now it might not have been hooked up to any land lines- minus its power cord- as it had its own built in wireless card, but even still it took D-Rom- or Duncan to the rest of the outside world- only minutes to get in and get the numbers required. But that was where the easy part ended.

   The secured website for the Senator’s off shore accounts would only recognize one IP address per account when conducting transactions. They had used a series of mirror programs to get in and see the status of the accounts and what they contained, but once they clicked the transfer button it gave them a big no-go prompt. To actually move the money from the accounts meant someone would have to be sitting in front of the Senator’s laptop at his desk using his personal network.  And as much as Duncan tried to convince Sera otherwise, that he should be the one in there because that was what he did, she knew she was the one who would have to hack into her Uncle’s computer.

   Now they had taken precautions to keep just such a thing from happening, but if for any reason she was caught at least her presence in that house could be explained. She was family. It wouldn’t be that odd of a situation for her to just drop in.