Epilogue

“Okay, so what’s next?” Sera asked Josephine.

   She put down Sera’s wrist guard and the chisel she was using to engrave the armor for the tattered book, “Um…hold on a second…”

   Sera turned back to the positively ancient range in front of her in panic, “Joey hurry, they’re gonna burn!”

   Since she found herself in her new/old life Sera was constantly faced with new challenges. None of which she was remotely prepared for. Albeit she had brought this one on herself she still found the need to see it through. At any time she could walk away from it and she’d be the only one who would get hurt. As it was she had a cloth wrapped around her left hand from where that stupid blade bit into her palm.

   But she was determined to learn and master all the training required for this new life, and with Death and Josephine helping her- sort of- she knew she could overcome anything.

   Including learning how to bake.

   Not that any of them particularly required food, but Sera felt the need to learn how to cook for Gage. Something embedded in her mind from her…mortal days she figured.

   She wasn’t sure she would ever get used to being an angel after having that life, but having wings was a great way to make sure she couldn’t forget. It was still a little awkward having them there and she had to learn how to do the most simplest of things over again because of the space they took up. And no, learning to fly wasn’t on her immediate list of things to accomplish.

   Maneuvering around a room, taking a shower, even walking was a challenge with her new center of balance. Neither she nor Josephine had to option to pull their wings inside themselves as Gage or Gabriel- who had stopped by to offer his support- could. Getting dressed was always interesting too despite the custom clothes that had to be made to accommodate her new body, though Gage found it adorable that she needed help. She might not necessary needs clothes but the perception she could make of clothes didn’t actually protect her skin, that’s why the three of them were not only dressed but Sera was wearing an apron and oven mitts too. She could still feel a cold breeze, still get burned by spattering bacon, still get a splinter from the wood she had been spending her days lugging around as they built themselves bigger digs.

   As it was things were pretty cramped around this little house. With only five rooms in a single story house half the size of the Beta’s dorm, and eight bodies existing inside and around it at any given point- three of them with twenty foot wing spans- it was a tight squeeze. Right now Death and Sera were occupying the majority of the floor space in the kitchen as they worked back to back on the apple turnovers they were making for dessert.

   Sheppard’s Pie was already in the oven as the main dinner course, three of them to feed all the hungry mouths.

    Wanting to be part of the action but not in the way Josephine had perched herself on the top of the table tucked against one of the walls. She had grown bored though fairly quickly, which was why she had picked up Sera’s armor.

     Originally God-that too was still weird, thinking of God as just someone else she knew- planned to set them up in the Vatican under the care of the Pope himself. And though that would have meant they wouldn’t have had to lift a finger outside of their search for the just, Gage had quickly refused that. He was willing to do what God asked, but it was going to be under his conditions, done his way. God had argued it wasn’t safe anywhere else. Gage argued he wouldn’t be put under their restrictions. Sera had tried to say it didn’t matter but that was when Gage explained to her why God wanted them there. It wasn’t so they could be under the care of the priests, but so they could keep a watchful eye on them. Gage and Sera specifically, because they were the ones romantically involved.