Chapter Four

The Dean’s office, Sera had been called to the Dean’s office.

   That was never a good thing.

   She looked down to the sticky note in her hand again, the one that had been left on her bedroom door while she was in classes yesterday morning.

   Dean’s office, 2:45 tomorrow.

   It was the last thing she needed right now even though she knew it was coming. She had just hoped she’d have more time before it happened, or at least heard from Lizzy first. But no, it was all going to go down the day after her arrest.

   Taking a swig out of the coffee in her other hand Sera went over her spiel in her head again about she had no idea Lizzy was into such things. She knew Dean Grissom would ask her if she knew where Lizzy was, to which she would respond with a snarky, “no, but she better find her way back before the open house.” To that she was expecting him to tell her that Lizzy wasn’t going to make it because she had been arrested on charges of trespassing with intent to destroy and maybe felony vandalism amongst others. He wouldn’t mention the more severe ones, like attempted murder with a deadly weapon or her Uncle’s favorite charge, acts of domestic terrorism.

   She’d give him her best appalled face which she would follow up with said spiel, it was perfect really. The only problem with it was she had already used the same act not a week ago after the pharmaceutical company incident. At least that time she had Duncan by her side for support as they lost both fraternity and sorority members. But this time she was on her own, Lizzy was the only one who didn’t make it out despite her confidence that she would.

   And as the leader of her sorority and as such the person most likely to be aware of Lizzy’s actions, she was being brought in for questioning…the first round of questioning. She knew the Mounties would come next, just like last time only this time they would most likely be followed by the Feds- if not superseded by- because of her Uncle’s role in Parliament, if not by the man himself.

   She had interned at his office over the summer- was still “contributing” in her spare time on weekends- but she just couldn’t remember if he knew of her involvement in the sorority or not, whether he’d be expecting to see her or some other over made prissy bitch. She didn’t have any more contact with him then any of his other aides did, less even because she wasn’t an official part of the party despite her blood relative status. Sure her mother knew, but when had Sera or her sister ever been brought up in conversation by the woman when it wasn’t necessary. I.E: when she would accept the accolades of the public for having such a beautiful family.

   Better to keep it to herself just in case, she thought. That’d be one hell of a trick to get herself out of her Uncle’s sights if he suspected her of double crossing him.

   Sera couldn’t help but curse Lizzy out in her head. Was she worried for her, of course, but by being rash Lizzy brought things a little too close to home.

   Last time the angels they lost weren’t from her own personal group, they were part of the same chapter true, but they didn’t attend the same university. They had chapters all over BC, and those angels were out of one of the more northern college’s group. It was a rush job and they were closer to the facility then her group was, which was the only reason why they were picked. Otherwise it’s the opposite. The farthest that can efficiently complete a mission is chosen for any particular assignment.

   It had its advantages as it tended to shift the blame from those who were truly responsible. But it had its downfalls too, like long travel times.

   Sera was dragging. Even her double shot espresso wasn’t doing much to keep her eyelids open. By the time they got back into Kelowna yesterday it was near dawn. And not that she could have slept thanks to her worry over Lizzy, but her first class was only a couple of hours away meaning sleep deprived was going to be her state for at least the next forty-eight hours. Sleep wasn’t going to happen tonight either. She wouldn’t be lying that they were having their yearly open house tonight, but it served two purposes and neither were quick. First it was to survey the new potential candidates, and second it was a cover for a meeting between all the lead Angles. They would all be in house for their monthly debriefing. Not that Sera was all that optimistic about it.