Married

My breath stopped and I just stared at Caleb. He had this big smile on his face as he looked between the two of us. "Alright you idiots, now is the time you look at each other." A quiet chuckle came from our friends and family.

I felt my feet move on their own, my entire body on autopilot, gravitating toward her, unable to stop from something so natural.

God she was gorgeous. I wasn't sure what else to say. I was barely even aware of her dress that she had spent weeks picking out, I didn't even know what her hair looked like, something I'm sure hours went into. I was focused on those green eyes. Sucking me in. And that smile that lit up her face, it wasn't forced and it wasn't nervous, it just belonged. It was natural.

"I love you." I heard myself whisper, once again on its own.

Her smile widened even more and she said, "I love you, Dev."

My heart.

Oh god.

What was happening.

This hadn't been a plan a few months ago.

This had been the opposite of what I wanted months ago.

And now?

Now it was all I wanted.

"Alright, shut up now, it's my turn." I wasn't sure if the crowd laughed again, probably, but I was just too absorbed in her to even notice.

Caleb cleared his voice and said, "Now, these two aren't religious and it's not like this is really official, I got certified or whatever like a week ago so I could do this, so in terms of what I'll be saying I'm not really sure. I guess this means I can kind of say whatever I want to. Devon of course was asking me like four times a day if I had become ordained and if I had written out everything I was going to say, and like a good brother, I lied." A laugh again. "But I suppose now I should figure something out.

"Some of you may not know that Devon and I are twins. Some of you won't know this because you don't really know Dev, or as my mother used to call her, Nic, something I took up in her place. Others don't know because we were separated when we were around eight. Our parents died and we went into the system, and it's just one of those things that happens sometimes. We lost each other until very recently. Our first meeting after so long was shortly after she started seeing Sara actually. We met for coffee one day and I asked her if she was seeing anyone. And she said Sara.

"The first time I met her was at the hospital. We were both there because Dev had been in a motorcycle accident after an ex showed up at her door, being awful as usual. So she went to blow off steam and next thing I know we're all standing in a hospital room, standing over her bed just waiting for her to wake up. That's how I met Sara. And I could tell it was the real deal that day. You could see it in her eyes before Dev woke up. And once she did, all I could see was love, even if they didn't see it yet.

"Next thing I know it's dogs and love and moving in together. And then an engagement. I come in on Christmas and she's wearing a ring on her finger. I don't want to say I called it, but, well, I called it.

"What I'm getting at is that I think everyone has seen how in love these two are. I don't think anyone can miss it. Honestly it's like sitting in your living room and not noticing your house is on fire. And with people so in love, I can't see any reason why they shouldn't get to be married.

"People joke about how marriage makes you miserable. About calling your wife the old ball and chain. About how you can't have fun anymore. There's this idea that marriage isn't fun. And I hate that, because if it's not fun why is everyone doing it? I don't like this whole thing of people saying that they hate getting married and then doing it anyways. Because I'm looking at these two and I know that that's something they'll never say. Devon will never call Sara a ball and chain, Sara will never laugh about how her life was ruined by getting married, nothing like that will never happen with these two. Because I don't think they could even joke about something like that. They're so desperately in love that jokes like that are impossible for them I think.