Once Upon a Hike

The light was streaming through the little mesh window of the tent and illuminating Sara’s body with a golden glow. She looked beautiful. Dark curls cascading down her back to about the middle of her shoulder blades. She was lying on her stomach, leaving me to admire the slope of her back. The sleeping bag rested on the small of her back, hiding her lower half from me. A lone curl fell across her cheek and I almost brushed it back, but I stopped myself out of fear of waking her.

                She was beautiful, but it was more than that. She was…Sara. There was no way to describe it. She was more than sexy and attractive, she was smart and fun and she was cute. I couldn’t remember the last time I called a girl cute who wasn’t under the age of thirteen. Sara was a different cute. A sweet cute. Like with the schedule of our first date as her bookmark. She would blush when I caught her looking at me, which was a lot. She was Sara.

                “Why have you been looking at me like that for twenty minutes?” Sara mumbled as she cracked an eye open.

                I smiled and looked away. “What do you mean?”

                She sat up and those green eyes found mine. “Like you never want to leave.”

                “I wasn’t looking at you like that.” I protested weakly.

                “Then what were you thinking?” She cocked her head to the side, suddenly curious.

                I was trying to figure out what I feel for you. “Nothing really. I thought you looked beautiful. I thought about how much I enjoy being around you. I thought about lots of things really.” It wasn’t a lie.

                She smiled and kissed me softly, her hand brushing along my cheek as she did so. “What are we doing today?”

                “I was thinking we could take a hike. I could take pictures and we could have a picnic. It’ll be nice.” My lips tingled from her kiss earlier. She always had that effect on me, whether it was passionate or just a peck.

                “Sounds fun. It’s beautiful out here.” She yawned and grabbed a set of clothes from the bag and a towel, plus her toothbrush and all of that other good stuff. “I’m going to shower. Feel free to join me.” She smirked a mischievous grin and unzipped the tent.

                Who am I to deny her good shower sex?

                In my defense, we didn’t just screw, I also washed her back, and other various parts of her body.

                She was soon wrapped up in a towel, too soon for my taste. Her hair was dripping and her lips were lilted up in a smile. She kissed my cheek and walked out, leaving me to dry myself off.

                I was pulling on my clothes while she brushed her hair and teeth. I walked up behind her and wrapped my arm around her waist. I took a deep breath, knowing exactly what I’d smell.

                Vanilla and lavender.

                I loved how she smelled. I loved how she seemed to melt into my touch. I loved her smile. God I loved her.

                What?

                No.

                Love doesn’t exist. You can like traits, I even think you can say that you love a trait and that makes sense. People? No. People are tolerable. You tolerate people. You don’t love people.