We Can Try

I still wasn’t quite ready to get out of my chair, which I thought was miserable. I had to get pushed around everywhere because my shoulder still hurt like a bitch and Sara wouldn’t let me roll myself around because of it. I hated this stupid thing. I was stuck in a wheelchair for two more weeks. After that though, I would be fully healed. It had almost been two months. The first thing I was going to do was pin Sara against a wall and make her scream my name.

                She was rolling me down the sidewalk to the park. She had convinced me to go on a walk, and I made a pretty witty joke about how it was going to be more of a roll for me, but she just rolled her eyes and told me I was going. She could be convincing when she wanted to be.

                “It’s nice out today.” Sara said happily as she wheeled me down to the park.

                I frowned and said, “For people who can walk, maybe. I’m miserable.” I pouted.

                “You’ll be up in no time. Besides, I hear girls will do a lot of things for people they pity. Call it cancer and everyone will be falling at your feet.” Was this entrapment? Ha! Joke’s on her!

                “You’re the only girl I care about falling at me feet.” I grinned and looked up at her. She was upside down, but I could still tell she was trying to hide a smile.

                “Good answer.”

                “I’m quick on my feet.” I joked and she just rolled her eyes.

                “That’s hilarious because you’re in a wheelchair.”

                It was my turn to frown. “I didn’t find that very funny.” I mumbled.

                “I did.”

                I stuck my tongue out at her and looked back ahead of me.

                We were in the park now. It was nice here. It was cool out, and the leaves were orange and red. I always like fall. I liked the cold and the colors and sometimes there was snow. I loved it all. The park was nice because of that. It was pretty empty because of the cold, just a few older couples taking walks or feeding the birds. It was pretty easy to find somewhere that would be private where we could talk for a while.

                Sara helped me out of my chair and onto the bench. She sat down next to me and I wrapped and arm around her shoulders. “It’s not so bad out here I guess.” I finally admitted.

                “I knew you would like it.” She let her head rest on my shoulder and after a few minutes she said, “You worry me sometimes?”

                “Why is that?” I didn’t want to worry her. I didn’t want to do anything but make her happy.

                “I was a one night stand, and you were definitely well practiced in that art.” I felt my cheeks flush and I looked up at the clouds. “I never know if you’ll just grow tired and I’ll wake up one morning with a note on the bed saying ‘Goodbye So and So’ like you forgot my name.” How long had she been thinking this? No. I wouldn’t do that. I had no plans of doing that at all.

                “Sara. You’re favorite color is blue, but you tell everyone it’s red because you feel like not enough people like red and you feel like people should, even if you're indifferent about it. You like red and green grapes, but you really hate Concord grapes for some reason. You like the Bruins, and you can’t name a football team to save your life. Your birthday is April 19th and you are an only child. You’re a dog person and have a dog back home. And you’re a 36 D.”