2

Dakota's POV

Poke, poke... Poke.

"Is she dead?"

"No, she's breathing."

"Boys and girls!  Why are you in here!?" Ms. Marrel scolded.  I heard some feet scramble out of the room. "Sweetheart, it's time to wake up," Ms. Marrel said sweetly, lightly brushing her fingers over my hair.

I fluttered my eyes open.  "Breakfast is ready when you are.  Also, I suggest you get dressed so you're ready for adoption day," Ms. Marrel smiled.  I nodded, rubbing my eyes.  Ms. Marrel exited the room, closing the door behind her.  I sighed, some kind of guilt and nervousness overcame my body.  I wanted my daddy back.

I quickly got dressed into a white dress with some black vans.  Before mommy died, she loved to dress me up and explain style to me.  I enjoyed that, a lot.  Then, I rushed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and my long, dark, brown hair.  When I was done, I headed downstairs.

Walking down creeky wooden steps to the dining room, I could hear the other foster kids talking at the breakfast table.

"She's pretty."

"I want to be friends with her."

"I wonder what her name is?"

I took a few quick and reassuring breaths, before walking as casually as I could into the room.  I wasn't the best at making new friends, or talking to new people.

I rounded the corner, and every head turned my way.  To my surprise, everybody looked my age!  Maybe this would be easier than I thought it would be.  I quietly took the last seat that was open, next to two boys.  And I noticed everyone had pretty much devoured their food already.  And they kept staring at me, the room was dead silent.  I played with my fingers, nervously not speaking or looking at anyone.

"Bacon?"  Ms. Marrel asked, walking into the room with a full plate of steaming hot bacon.

I looked up excitedly, remembering daddy always made bacon on good days.  I nodded and Ms. Marrel made her way over to me.

"Would you like pancakes or eggs, dear?"  She asked, while putting two strips of bacon on the plate in front of me.

"Pancakes, please."

Ms. Marrel nodded, gave a few other kids bacon, and I think went back into the kitchen.

"What's your name?"  The boy with light brown hair and vibrant green eyes beside me, asked.

"D-Dakota," I said shyly.

"Hi Dakota," he smiled.  "I'm Henry."

I smiled to Henry.  Then everyone began to say their names, and soon I knew everyone! 

After breakfast, Ms. Marrel announced people would be coming into the orphanage soon!  I was both hoping and not hoping I would get adopted.  Hoping because I want to have a loving family, but not hoping because I just met a bunch of people, and I felt as if I was going against my own mother.  I'm sure things would be so much different if she was here.

Soon enough, we were all sent up to our rooms.  I wondered... What if I get adopted?  Are my parents going to be nice, or will they be-

"Dakota," Ms. Marrel said from my doorway, motioning for me to follow her.  I looked up and came to terms with reality.  I'm about to be questioned by my possible new parents!

I ran downstairs and followed Ms. Marrel into a similar office space I was in last night.  At the opposite side of the desk, was a man and a woman.  They both held paperwork that I assume related to me.  Then, I got hit with questions.  "What's your name?  What's your favorite thing to do?  What do you like to eat? Etc."