7

I haven't stopped crying since yesterday. My baby's not in my arms. I can't eat or sleep. The only feeling I've been able to be aware of is the on-and- off feeling of Jack's arms around my body, and the constant nagging of guilt. Everyone has told me not to worry, everybody.

Lia's walking towards me now, and sits next to me on my couch. The past hours have been a drag. The Jacks', Lia, and I have decided to step out of the tour. As well as Jessica, but who I have yet to see at all since Dakota's disappearance.

"The police just called... Said their watching the outside security cameras from the other night," Lia says, watching me as she holds her hands together.

I nod.

"I think it's Jessica," Lia says quietly. "Wouldn't be surprised."

I don't respond. Yes, I sort of feel the same way. But I'm waiting for the evidence to prove itself. It could really be anyone who took my child.

The couch dips down as a body sits next to me. Jack. I lean into his body, and the waterworks begin once again. He holds me close, but doesn't know what to do to calm me at this point. I sense Lia leave the room, probably going to find Johnson.

"They'll find our princess," Jack says after a while.

"I hope."

———

A phone call from the local police station rings through the house as I lay awake. Staring at the ceiling, wondering what I did wrong at 12am.

"Hello?" My desperation scratching the back of my throat.

"Madison Beer- or Gilinsky?"

"Yes, that's me."

"Hello, I'm Sergeant Hendrix working on your missing child case. So, we have reviewed the footage on the security cameras around the building your daughter disappeared in. Nothing suspicious has shown up yet, but trust me we are working diligently on this."

"Oh," I respond, glancing at Jack as he begins to sit up in bed.

"I'm very sorry, I'll be sure to keep you and your husband updated."

"It's alright, thank you."

"Have a good night, m'am."

Silence.

"Anything?" Jack asks, staring at me while I listen to the static in the phone.

I shake my head, gently placing my phone on the beside table next to me.

Jack settles back down into bed, his breath slowly turning into soft snores. I stay as I am, staring at the plain white ceiling. Acting as if it could have some kind of answer hidden on it.

My mind seems to land on Jessica throughout the night. What are the odds she could have taken Dakota? I dislike her, a lot, but she doesn't seem quite evil enough to kidnap a child.

Ugh, who am I kidding? She probably did take her and I'm just trying not to point fingers.

My restlessness lasts until the early morning hours. Then, I hear something through Dakota's baby monitor.

I sit up, quietly listening for more. There's nothing, but I decide to go check out her room. Maybe it will calm me down a little, seeing the relaxed setup.

Opening the white door, the space is filled with kids toys and darkness. I look around, and my eyes meet a tall dark figure. I charge at it, slapping the object. Only finding the old wooden chair my own mother used to hold me in when I was little. Some pain flashes up my fingers and I wave them around, like that will decrease the burning sensation.

"Madison," Jack groans from the doorway, startling me as he walks toward me.

"Jack... I can't do this," my voice trembles as I fall into my husband's arms.

"Baby, it's okay. We'll get through this, and before we know it, Dakota will be in our arms again," he says, but doesn't sound too confident.

Jack eventually leads me back to our room and cuddles my body to sleep. But the world in my dreams isn't much better than reality. The nightmares begin to role in.