5

Madison's POV

"Momma?" Dakota calls out to me.

"Yes, baby?" I ask, cutting up some carrots for her.

"Where's daddy?"

"He's packing, sweet pea," I respond, remembering tour is coming up soon and smile.

"Why?" She asks, the pads of her feet slapping against the tiles on the floor towards me.

Suddenly Dakota is hanging on my leg, waiting for a response.

I lay down the knife I'm holding, and pick up my little girl.

"Do you know what a tour is?" I ask, reading her eyes.

"When people show you around places?"

I giggle, "Well yes, but the kind I'm talking about is when a group of people travel places and perform, or talk to a crowd, for entertainment."

Her eyes dance, she seems intrigued of the idea.

"Are you gonna do that?" Dakota asks, tangling her fingers in my hair.

"Yes, I'm going to sing," I smile, so does she. "Carrot?" I ask after a moment. Dakota nods and I hand her a small chunk of carrot, which she greedily scarfs down.

I giggle and hand another, and another to Dakota. "Good?"

She nods, carefully chewing softly.

Then, Jack walks into the kitchen from upstairs.

"There's my two favorite ladies," he smiles, kissing our foreheads. His eyes look exhausted, worn out.

"You look tired, babe," I say, rubbing his arm covered by a long-sleeve shirt.

"Just a little, I'll be okay," he smiles, opening the fridge and scanning the shelves for a snack.

"Daddy," Dakota grins, reaching her arms for Jack. He takes her in his arms, tickling her sides and smiles as her loud squeals of laughter fill the room. He kisses her cheeks and hugs her tightly.

"How'd I get so lucky?" Jack smiles, finding my eyes and winking. Then he smirks looking at my body, but not for long.

Dakota squirms and Jack lowers her to the floor, watching her skip to the playroom to play.

"Are you ready for the big reveal?" Jack asks, closing the fridge doors and walking towards me, leaning against the counter.

"Yeah, so ready," I say, hoping the fans will be happy about our decision. Dakota has definitely completely Jack and I.

———

"C'mere, Dakota," Jack says, crouching to pick her up. She's holding the softest fleece blanket ever, and it's wrapped all around her. Jack swoops her up into his arms, walking out the front door and strapping her down in the car seat. Dakota's eyes look heavy as she relaxes for the long ride.

I grab the last few bags in the house, stowing them in the back of the car. Then, I jump into the passenger.

"Got everything?" Jack asks, starting the engine.

I quickly go through the house in my mind, and I can't think of anything else we'd need.

"I'm good," I smile, reaching my hand for his and locking our fingers together. "Are you ready, Dakota?"

No response. I look back to see a sleeping beauty, my princess.

"She's out, and it's adorable," I giggle, squeezing Jack's hand.

"Damn, I'm so happy. For now everything is perfect, and I'm good with that," he says, facing the road but smiling like the goof he is. I nod in agreement. I can't be more thankful in this moment.

———

We arrive to the venue. I look behind me to see Dakota is still fast asleep in her car seat, light snores escaping her mouth. Luckily she's not crying her eyes out like a few hours before.

"Did anyone get new tour buses this year?" Jack asks unexpectedly, parking at the hotel.

"No I don't think so, that would be too expensive for any of us," I reply, scrolling through Twitter.

"Well, then, why weren't we notified that Jessica was invited to this? Or was she on the list?"

My head shoots up from the sound of her name, and there sits her tour bus right in front of the event venue across the street. The moonlight shines brightly on it, like it's some sort of 'trophy.' That perfect black thin hair and the thought of her freakishly long acrylic nails hurt my head. I don't want her anywhere near Dakota.

I don't know what to say.

"I'll call Johnson once we get into our room. He'll probably do something," Jack assures me, leaving a kiss on my cheek and unloading from the car.

I turn around in my seat once more, and lightly stroke Dakota's soft hair.

Please don't let my angel get away from me.