9

Everyday now I sit in the living room, reflecting on how life was. I actually had a loving husband and daughter. A family, that was all mine.

Jack is rarely home, occasionally comforting me when he is around. But that tiny occasion has trickled down to nothing. And I miss the feeling of human interaction, the one of many things I've lost.

The local police, and other surrounding towns, haven't had much luck with Dakota, and I haven't either. That white SUV isn't anywhere, I can't find it for the life of me. Everything about this long waiting process is draining.

It would be a joke to say I'm not lonely. Sometimes, Dakota's battery-operated toys will go off from upstairs, I'm quite used to it now, I feel like they're talking to me in some way. The batteries are dying, and that's the only reason why they're going off.

"Madison, can you do an interview with us?" Is all the tabloid voice messages have been asking. At first, the missing-child situation was kept a secret, but it was somehow leaked.

The haters and even some fans have said that they knew this would happen. "Jack and Madison were not ready to have a family, and never will."

Just downhill, over and over again.

My empty stomach suddenly gurgles, and I stand up from the couch and stalk to the pantry. I remember earlier today I finished a box of oats, the fridge doesn't have anything in it. And everything else in this pantry is disgusting.

I sigh, noticing I'm being forced by my brain to get out of this house. Into the real world, with people. The closest thing to a shower is my baseball hat, sitting peacefully on the island. I sit it on my head, tucking my dark hair into it. My body does the rest of the work, grabbing my purse and iPhone.

I watch my feet as I get into my car through the garage. Am I ready to face the world today? I guess I am. My fingers jab the key into the ignition.

Lettuce, yogurt, ice cream, cheese, grapes, bananas, tampons, K cups, laundry detergent.... Whatever the hell else I need to live.

———

I get into the store parking lot, park, and wait a few minutes before getting out. No paparazzi, no crazy fangirls, just a woman getting groceries. No big deal.

Sooner or later, I get into the check-out line. And I people-watch, because that is totally human.

My eyes drift over to the frozen products aisle. There's a man staring at me, and I almost don't recognize him. The abundance of scruff and tired eyes surprises me. Jack. At one time, my one and only. Our eyes meet, but break quickly.

"Hello, did you find everything okay?" The check-out employee greets me.

"Uhm, yes," I whisper, my hands shaking slightly.

I get out of the store as fast as possible, jogging out of it with a grocery cart filled with things.

My hands find car keys in the bottom of my purse, and quickly unlock the back doors. I open them.

What the actual hell?

"Dakota?"

"Mommy?"

"Oh. My. God."

It's my little girl. Her small body completely covered in black and blue bruises, and blood smeared arms... All strapped in her car seat like she normally would.

"Oh. My. God," I say again in shock. I look everywhere around me, feeling unsafe eyes beat into my body from a distance.

"I wanna go home, Momma," Dakota says in a whisper, her delicate eyes pleading me and filling with tears.

"Of course, Baby. I love you. I love you so much, Sweets, I'm so sorry for everything. I'm the worst mother, I wasn't ready for this," I say shakily, feeling my eyes fill up to its rim with tears. Instead of blood running through my veins, fear takes its place.

"No, Mommy I love you. It wasn't your fault, but I want to go home," Dakota pleads again, this time a single tear drips down her cheek.

"Yes, let's go, baby," I lean forward and gently hug her, careful not to squeeze too tightly.

I throw the couple bags of groceries into the seat beside Dakota, and rush home.

It's time to find the person who has hurt my baby, if it's the last thing I do.