11

I didn't know what Jack wanted, but I'm not interested. He changed into a completely different person when Dakota went missing.

"Ah!! Dakota!" I hear mom yell out of frustration from the living room. The two of them are playing Mario Kart, and Dakota manages to win every single time.

I smile to myself, and scoop scrambled eggs onto three plates with toast and strawberries.

My phone buzzes. Who could it be now?

johnson: hey... can I stop by?

madison: come on over, just eating breakfast

I forget to mention Dakota, but Jack will see when he gets here. I'm slightly confused and intrigued about what he wants to talk about.

I bring the three plates to the dining room table, then go back to the kitchen to make another plate for Johnson.

When I return, mom and Dakota are waiting.

"Who will be joining us this morning?" Mom asks, watching me set the plate beside me.

"Johnson... he says he needs to talk to me about something," I respond, farrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

Mom nods her head while reaching for the salt and pepper. She seems suspicious.

"Mmm," Dakota melts, chewing some food.

"Is it good?" I ask her.

She nods, biting into a fresh strawberry.

The doorbell suddenly rings, making us all jump.

"I'll be right back," I say, walking swiftly to the door.

Johnson's already closing the door when I meet him in the mudroom, he seems rushed.

"Hey J-"

"Shhh-" Johnson cuts me off.

"What?"

"Mads, Lia is gone."

My eyes widen, "What?!"

"I called her mom's house the other day and she said she hadn't seen Lia for a while..." I can see Jack's eyes getting glossy and he's beginning to break down.

I put an arm around his shoulder, "Come sit down."

"What if she's gone, or ran away... What if she doesn't love me? I've made some mad decisions on that girl," Jack says sternly but in a soft manner.

We come into view of the kitchen table where mom and Dakota are sitting. Dakota's face immediately lights up when she sees Jack, and she climbs down from the chair and runs toward him. Johnson kneels down to the floor to pick up Dakota, and his tears become too much for his eyes and spill down his cheeks. Dakota just hugs Johnson like he was her own dad while he blubbers like a baby. I can tell Jack is very overwhelmed with emotion.

They pull away and Johnson strokes Dakota's disheveled hair away from her face. He kisses her forehead and says, "I'm so glad you're safe."

Dakota hugs him again and then jogs off back to her plate.

Johnson looks at me, "H-how did-"

"I don't know. Don't even ask because I'm still trying to figure it out myself," I confess, admiring Dakota's smile stay happily on her face.

After a few moments of silence, Johnson adds quietly so only I can hear, "What if Dakota and Lia's disappearance is connected?"