one

I sighed unhappily as I looked down at my GPS. Only six minutes until I reached my destination. Great. I was not looking forward to what was bound to be an awkward summer visiting my dad in Newport, California.

My parents had split about three years ago and that was when my dad decided to move out of Oregon and into one of the richest cities in California. I guess that's one way of proving to your ex-wife how much you don't need her anymore. Not that my dad couldn't afford it. His once small insurance company had recently taken off and anyone could see by the luxurious life he lead he was raking in the big bucks.

"Turn right on Allen Avenue."

I sighed again. This was going to be a long two months. I hadn't seen my dad in three years. I had only spoken to him a few times over the phone since the divorce. I sometimes felt bad about not seeing him, but anytime I even mentioned the idea of visiting, my mom would give me a sympathetic look, pat my hand and say, "Honey, I don't think that's the best idea."

Toward the end of the school year, my dad called and basically told my mom it was time for me to visit him or else he would bring the issue to the courts. She knew she couldn't afford saying no to that.

So there I was driving alone to a city in California that I had never been to before to visit my blackmailer of a dad who I hadn't seen in three years. Totally normal.

"Your destination is on the right."

I looked up from the GPS to see a big, black fence shielding a huge house. My eyes widened as I took in the tan house surrounded by immaculate yard work. A fountain was placed near the front of the house and the driveway curved around it.

I slowly pulled up to the closed gate that blocked anyone from getting up the driveway. I looked around for some fancy button to press or lever to pull. Why didn't he give me a heads up on how to get in? I thought about ramming my car straight through the gate to get revenge for blackmailing mom. Then my dad would have to buy a new gate and an entire new car for me.

Just as my foot was about to tap the accelerator, an excited voice chirped through a box near the gate. "Clara?! Is that you?"

I jumped in surprise and turned towards the intercom. "Um, hi?"

"Hey, kiddo! It's me, Dad! I'm opening the gate now, just park right outside the garage."

I was about to tell him I was eighteen now and how nobody should call an eighteen year old kiddo, but what came out of my mouth was an emotionless "Okay, sounds good."

The gate slowly rolled open and I pulled into the driveway of my new home.

. . .

Thank you thank you for reading! This was a short intro but I have big plans for this story and things are going to get very exciting so I hope you continue reading and enjoying. 

-K