nine

The two boys were so immersed in their argument, they didn't even notice Harry and I watching them from between the trees.

Harry kept his hand in mine and excitedly pointed with the other towards the boys in front of us. "We're at a secret driving range, see?"

"So, we're golfing." I said in a monotone voice.

"Yeah!" Harry seemed oblivious to my disdain for the sport.

I didn't know if Harry understood the definition of boring. Golf was probably next to the word boring in the dictionary.

We started walking towards the boys who were already there and they turned as they saw us coming.

"Hiya, Harry!" One of the boys good naturedly shouted. He was wearing black sunglasses and one of the country club's white polo and khaki shorts uniforms. He looked in my direction and then down at our intertwined hands. A smile started to form on his face. "You finally got yourself a pretty girlfriend?"

Harry only chuckled at the boy's words but I felt my face heat up in a crimson blush. I immediately released my hand from Harry's.

"We only just met," I muttered. "Like, a few minutes ago."

"And you're already holding hands?" The boy gasped. "It's hard to resist the charms of Harry Styles, I know."

I felt my blush deepen.

"Cut it out, Niall." Harry warned.

The boy next to Niall spoke up. "He's only messing with you, love. It's nice to meet you, I'm Liam."

I mentally thanked Liam for saving me from further embarrassment. Liam had short brown hair and a cute smile any girl would melt over. I could see a tattoo of multiple arrows on his forearm and it was easy to tell he worked out.

I smiled at him. "I'm Clara, nice to meet you, too."

I flicked my eyes back to the other boy and realized I recognized him. "I think I met you earlier at the pool."

"Oh yeah, I remember you!" Niall said. "You left pretty quickly, though. Like you saw a ghost or something!"

I heard Harry snicker beside me and I glared at him through the corner of my eye.

"Yeah, basically," I said with a sigh.

Niall seemed confused by my response, but Harry interjected before he could pester me with anymore questions.

Harry put his hand on the small of my back and led me over to a spot on the range. There was a mat with a stack of golf balls and I saw a small pond behind us.

"So, Clara, have you played golf before?" he asked.

I watched as Niall and Liam continued hitting golf balls. They swung with force and each golf ball sailed through the air in a perfect arc before disappearing in the grass. "Does minigolf count?" I nervously coughed.

"Looks like you've just won yourself a private golfing lesson with Harry Styles!" Niall shouted as he cranked another golf ball out of sight.

Harry rolled his eyes at Niall's comment and handed me a club.

"Harry, I have no idea what I'm doing." I admitted.

He gave me a soft smile. "I'll help you, don't worry, babe."

Even though I had zero golf knowledge, I figured this was better than running from my dad for the next few hours.

I nodded my head and squared my shoulders. "Okay, what do I do?"

"Put your right hand on top of your left," Harry reached out and positioned my hands on the club. "And make sure your right thumb is pointing down." His hands were gentle as they moved over mine.

Harry stepped back and looked at me from the side. "Good, now bend your knees, squat down a bit, and drop your left shoulder further than your right."

My body awkwardly moved with his directions.

"Lookin good, Clara!" Niall commented from where he stood.

Was he ever quiet? I ignored Niall and concentrated on my form.

Suddenly, Harry came up from behind and wrapped his arms around me, putting his hands over mine on the club.

My chances of concentrating went out the window.

"Swing back like this and shift your weight to your right foot." Harry's breath was hot on my cheek and I felt my knees go weak. "And when you swing forward, don't forget to follow through and bring the club behind your shoulders." I felt Harry's muscles move on my back as he swung the club with me.

"Got it?" His curls tickled the side of my face as he tilted his head to look down at me.

I didn't remember a thing he said. 

I cleared my throat. "Yep."

"Good." He released his hold from me and took a few steps back. "Let's see you give it a go, then."

I lined up a golf ball with the end of the club, took a deep breath, and swung. I barely hit the ball and it rolled about ten feet forward.

I let out an exasperated shout. "That was terrible!"

"For your first shot, it wasn't bad!" Liam said from where he was hitting golf balls. "It takes a lot of practice."

I turned back to Harry and saw him trying not to laugh. He noticed my frustrated look and his face became more serious. "No, it's okay, just try again! Try not to look up before you hit it this time."

I swung again and missed terribly.

I attempted hitting several more balls while Harry offered words of encouragement. Many of my wayward shots had rolled into the pond next to us and a few almost caused bodily harm to Harry. After about forty minutes of my poor attempts, Liam and Niall had abandoned their clubs to cheer me on as well. I had yet to get a golf ball off the ground and it was turning into the event of the summer.

"Come on, Clara, this is the one! I can feel it!" Niall shouted.

Liam started clapping in agreement and Harry was chanting, "Smash it, smash it,"

I laughed and put my hands out to calm the masses. "Please, my adoring fans, I need quiet to concentrate."

The boys dropped their voices and I lined the club up for the billionth time. I ran all the tips they gave me through my mind, relaxed my muscles, and let the club swing.

I felt the club make contact with the ball and I smoothly followed through. I slowly looked up to see the ball soaring through the air.

The boys erupted into cheers. 

My mouth opened in shock. I watched as it finished its flight and plunked in the grass, many yards away from us. I felt powerful and I felt proud. 

"Harry, I did it!" I happily shouted.

I felt Niall pat me on the back before Harry grabbed my waist and lifted me into the air. My club dropped to the ground, forgotten, as I put my hand on his shoulders.

"You did it!" Harry exclaimed.

I giggled as he twirled me around while Liam and Niall continued to congratulate me.

I was so happy, I didn't notice Harry's foot get caught in the club I had dropped, and I didn't notice we were falling until it was too late.

I let out a scream and I fiercely clung to Harry as we fell backwards and crashed into the pond behind us.

. . .

OKAY BUT HARRY AND NIALL AND LIAM WOULD ALL BE REALLY HOT COUNTRY CLUB EMPLOYEES JUST SAYIN.

-K