sixteen

I woke up and stretched my legs as far as they could go. My surroundings came into focus and I sighed contentedly in my warm and cozy bed. The sunlight dripped through my curtains and I could hear jubilant chirps from the birds outside the windows. It seemed like the start to a perfect day. I turned over on my side with a smile and almost jumped out of my skin when I saw a body next to me.

It's Harry, it's only Harry.

I put a hand on my heart while my breathing slowed down. I suddenly remembered why Harry was sleeping next to me. The details were foggy in my half-awake state, but I knew I had a nightmare last night. Harry came to see what was wrong. I had cried in front of him. I was so pathetic, and now he knew how pathetic I was. It was embarrassing.

I ran a hand down my face in frustration. I really hoped he wouldn't bring this up later today. The last thing I wanted was to talk about my feelings and be vulnerable, especially in front of a guy I just met.

I glanced down at sleeping Harry. His eyelashes fanned across the top of his cheeks and his breath came out evenly from his pink lips. His hair was a complete mess, with unruly curls strewn on the white pillow. I could see his muscles through his shirt, but lying here, asleep, he looked so harmless and beautiful. Would a human as gentle as this judge me and take advantage of weaknesses I revealed? Maybe. I barely knew him, I couldn't be sure of anything.

I grumbled with annoyance at my torn thoughts. I thought pancakes were in order to take my mind off of everything.

I slowly removed my covers as to not wake Harry, and tip toed downstairs to the kitchen.

After spending a good 15 minutes searching through my dad's ginormous kitchen, I found all the ingredients and tools I needed and got to work. Pancakes were one thing I could cook. I normally didn't have the patience or skill to make a decent meal, but breakfast food was something hardly anyone could screw up.

The batter sizzled as it hit the greased pan and the buttery aroma filled the room.

My dad was supposed to be home in five days. I hadn't checked my phone in the past 24 hours, so I had no idea if he had tried to call. Of course, I wasn't planning on contacting him. If I had it my way, I wouldn't have come to visit in the first place. I had no idea how he thought he was going to mend this relationship, especially after he had tried to send me to some ridiculous camp.

I reached for a plate in the cupboard and stacked myself some warm pancakes. I slathered butter and syrup on top, sat down, and ravenously ate.

In the middle of eating, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and after a few moments, saw a tired looking Harry come around the corner. His hair stuck out in every direction and he was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. I laughed at his rumpled appearance.

"Well, good morning to you, too," he mumbled in his deep, morning voice.

"I made pancakes," I cheerfully said while waving my fork in the air.

Harry walked like a zombie to the pancakes and slumped into a chair across from me to eat.

"How do you feel this morning?" he asked in between bites.

"I feel better. The spot on my head is still a little tender, but I think I will survive."

Harry nodded. He looked uncomfortable as he pushed his pancakes around his plate and opened his mouth to say something else. "How are you feeling from what happened last night?"

This was exactly what I didn't want to happen. "I don't want to talk about it." I snapped, and abruptly stood from my chair to take my plate to the sink.