twenty-seven

My mood was lighthearted after leaving the driving range where the kids had their lessons from Harry. It was all so cute; seeing the kids try their best while Harry patiently helped them.

I held Harry's hand as we walked back to his car. He shut the passenger door behind me and started to drive.

"I probably should take you home. I'm sure your dad's worried about you."

I still was mad at my dad over our fight, but I knew I couldn't hide from him forever. It had been a few days since I had even been home, so I nodded in agreement.

My mind was going a million miles an hour as he drove in the direction of my house, knowing what I wanted to say to Harry but afraid about the consequences. So much had happened between us in the past few days and my feelings for him had only grew. I couldn't keep dragging this out and leading him on without telling him how I felt.

"Harry, you were really good with those kids." I told him.

His mouth quirked into a smile. "Yeah, they're fun."

Silence filled the car and that only caused my nerves to escalate. I didn't know what to say to start the conversation. The ride was quiet the whole way until he pulled the car into the driveway of my house. As he cut the engine and didn't say anything, I couldn't look at him.

"Harry?" I said softly.

"Yeah?"

"You remember earlier today, when you told me you liked me?"

He sighed. "How could I forget?"

"Well, I was thinking about what you said, and I feel so..."

I could see Harry waiting in anticipation for my words in my peripheral vision.

"Inadequate. I would be the world's most inadequate girlfriend. I have trust issues, daddy issues, and am really closed off. I am so afraid that once we're together, I'll lose you, just like I lose everyone else. I am one messed up person who doesn't seem nearly good enough for someone like you."

Harry's head fell at my words.

"But, for some amazing reason, you like me. And I'm coming to accept that I really like you too."

His head snapped back up to meet my eyes. "Go on," he said with a smile.

"I guess, what I'm saying is," I mumbled as heat started to rise in my cheeks. "I want to date you. If you'll still have me that is." I felt embarrassed at my admittance and couldn't look him in the eye.

Harry didn't say anything as he got out of the car, approached the passenger side, and opened my door. I looked at him in confusion as he got down on one knee right on the driveway while I was still sitting in the front seat of the car.

"Harry, what are you doing?" I felt even more mortified at his actions.

His smile was so wide as he knelt there. "Clara, will you do me the great honor," he took my hand in his.

"If the neighbors are watching, I swear-" I began.

"Would you let me finish?" Harry lightly scolded me before recomposing himself. "Let me have the honor of being your number one confidant, your best friend, your person. Will you officially be my girlfriend?" His smile was radiant as he waited for me to answer.

"You are ridiculous," I couldn't help it and a smile started to form on my face as well. "But yes. Yes, I will."

Harry let out a happy shout as I jumped from the seat into his arms. He hugged me tightly and swung me around in circles in the driveway while giggles escaped from my lips. He spun us until I couldn't see straight, and he must have not been able to see straight either since he spun out of control and fell on the front lawn with me in his arms.