three

I stopped unpacking. What made him think it was okay to sign me up for a summer camp without letting me know?

I slowly turned around and faced him. "Um, what?"

"I talked with your mom on the phone a few times before you came." he admitted. "She told me you shouldn't really be left alone for long periods of times; that you can get a little reckless."

Try and make your own parachute out of sheets and jump off the roof one time and apparently your mom will blab to her ex-husband about your "issues."

"Dad, I'm not reckless. I'll be just fine on my own."

"She said she's worried about you. She thinks because of what happened, you do crazy things to distract yourself from thinking about it."

I folded my arms across my chest. "I am not going to some random camp."

"I think it would be good for you. It's a college prep camp, which will be perfect for you to get ready for college this fall." When I didn't respond, he added, "You could meet some new people. Your mom thought it would be nice for you to make new friends since you kind of stopped talking to your old ones."

I threw my hands up in the air in exasperation. "Was there anything Mom didn't tell you?"

My dad's voice grew serious. "Clara, I don't want this to be difficult, but I'm asking you to go. I don't want anything to happen to you while I'm gone."

In my mind, there was nothing good about the words "college prep camp." I would have to sit through a week of people giving me pointless advice. I also would have to be friendly and make small talk with people I had nothing in common with. Small talk was such a waste of time. It was true I often did things before thinking, but that didn't mean I would throw myself in the hands of danger at every opportunity. I wasn't that stupid.

"Nothing would happen, Dad. For the last time, I'm not going." I stared him down.

My dad looked down at his watch. "My flight leaves in four hours and the camp starts today. I am going to be waiting in the car and when you are ready, come down and I will drive you there. Don't make this harder than it needs to be." He gave me a stern look and walked out.

As soon as he left, I began thinking.

Okay, what were my options? I could just go to the camp and endure a week with nerds. But I'm a legal adult for heaven's sake, I shouldn't be forced into doing anything I don't want to do.

I could let my dad drive me to this alleged camp, stay long enough to see him go, and then run home. But how far away was this place? I couldn't run half a mile without feeling like dying. Then again if I was motivated enough...

I looked out the window. I saw my dad sitting in his car, looking ahead and waiting. I wanted to prove him wrong. I wanted to prove I wasn't some reckless, crazy, teenage girl who needed help. I wanted to prove I would be just fine on my own.

Suddenly, an idea came to my mind.

I knew what I had to do. I re-packed a few things into my backpack and hurriedly put it on.

I was going to escape.

I would disappear until I knew his flight had left and then return back. Then I would have a week to myself and I would show him how un-reckless and capable I was.

I looked over my shoulder to see my dad still waiting in the car.I probably didn't have much time until he came back inside looking for me. I ran past the other bedrooms and down the stairs.

I thought about driving away in my car, but it was parked right out front where he was waiting. This escape would have to be done on foot.

I ran through the kitchen and saw a sliding door that led to a porch out back. I didn't have time to take in the fancy outdoor furniture and pool. I ran to the edge of the yard, jumped the black fence, and landed on the other side. I dusted myself off, started running, and didn't look back.