twenty-one

Is my cover even relevant anymore now that Harry has new hair??? Jk I love him either way

. . .

As the days went on, my dad continued to cautiously tip toe around me. He never forced me to get along with him, but he kept treating me like I was the most special person in the world no matter how rude I was. I quickly figured out my tolerance level for how long I could interact with him before going insane.

Also as the days went on, I found myself worrying less about Harry. Not that I didn't think about him any less, but I worried less. Whether or not I was happy, I couldn't change the decision I had made and that's just the way it was.

One evening, I was lounging on a couch in the living room when my dad hesitantly approached me for the fifth time that day.

"Hey, sweetie,"

I nodded at him without looking up from my phone.

My dad heavily sighed. "I wanted to talk with you,"

"Okay,"

"I know we've been avoiding talking about what happened. But I really think we should; to clear up the air so we can actually be friends again."

My head snapped up to his face. "Dad, what is there to say? You made things pretty clear when you left me and mom."

"I understand. But I've regretted that almost everyday since I left."

"Then why did you never come back?" My voice started to rise.

"I should have, and I'm sorry." He looked genuinely remorseful. "But I thought even if I did, you would never forgive me."

"Not gonna lie, it would have been nice to see even a little bit of effort." I hotly said.

"Clara," my dad slowly began. "I also think in order for things to get better between us, you need to let this go."

I felt my face begin to burn with pure anger. "Dad," my voice came out through tight lips. "How dare you tell me to let this go."

"You need to try. It's what Camden would have wanted."

I suddenly stood up and slammed my hands on the table in front of me. "Do NOT say his name!" I shouted. "You should be ashamed! He died. He died and you tell me to 'just let it go'??"

His remorseful face turned livid. "You know that's not what I meant."

"Have you ever thought about this: Maybe I don't try to be nice to you anymore because I don't want a relationship with a deceitful, cowardly son of--"

"You are not allowed to speak with me in that way!" My dad snapped. "I have been trying to mend this relationship the whole time you've been here and you hardly give a damn!"

"I'm going home," I hissed as I turned away from him and marched out of the room.

"Don't you walk away from me!" My dad grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. "We need to finish this conversation now. Not later."

My words came out like venom. "There is clearly nothing for me here. Everything in our family has changed and we are no where close to fixing our issues." I didn't even try to hide my utter disdain for him. "This trip was pointless. I'm going home whether you like it or not."